News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Extreme clipping overload (MacOS 10.15.7)

Started by fredaugust, May 31, 2021, 01:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fredaugust

Hi!
Downloaded VinylStudio to test if it can replace my current set-up for vinyl ripping.

However, I ran into problems right away as VinylStudio doesn't seem to be able to handle my ADC properly.
I use a Furutech ADL GT40α and the incoming signal from it gets way overloaded and distorted. The left meter in the "Check Level" window is all red. Lowering input volume does not help. It still sounds as if the volume is beyond max with heavy distortion and clipping. I have no idea what to do to fix this.

I've tested on two Macs; MacBook Air (2020) MacBook (early 2015). Both running MacOS 10.15.7.
These can handle my ADC without problems in Audacity but not in VinylStudio.

Is there any way this can be fixed?

Thanks for your help.

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

I don't know what would cause this.  So you have tried reducing the recording level slider in VinylStudio?

Hello again,

I thought about this some more and you should check that equalisation is not enabled in VinylStudio's Check Level dialog.  You might need to expand the relevant section of the dialog to see it.

fredaugust

Thank you for your replies.
It seems it might be a hardware problem after all since I now have a distorted signal in Audacity as well (really odd that i didn't have that at first). However, the distortion in the signal is much lower in Audacity and doesn't overpower the music like it does in VinylStudio. The problem also only affects the left channel.
At the moment I'm waiting to hear back from Furutech.
Thanks again for your time.

OK, thanks.  In my experience, the GT40 is not the most robust device in the world (I had one and it died completely).