News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Resampling when saving tracks

Started by RalphDaly28, April 03, 2021, 12:01:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RalphDaly28

I actually have two questions:

Q1: I had used Cakewalk's AudioCreator previously for digitizing my albums (yes, some time ago). After a long hiatus from converting albums, I want to start again. From everything I read VinylStudio Pro is definitely the way to go. But it is hard to tell if what I want to do is supported so I thought I would post a question here and see if you can do it (I think you can but I can't find an explicit answer):

• I will record each album side at very high resolution
  • I will then look up the track listings and set up the various tracks
  • I will clean up the audio (I was not very careful with my LPs when I was young)
  • I will save the entire album at high resolution for archive purposes
  • I will save the tracks separately in MP3 form at some high resolution for playback on my computer
  • Then, I will want to save the exact same tracks separately at a low resolution that I can store on an MP3 player/phone (I have lots of albums)

From the feature list, it would appear that I can store the same set of tracks at two different sample rates in different directories using the same high-res source, but I can't be sure from the info provided so far.

Q2: When you do the Internet lookup of track info, do you also store the album cover image to the directory in which the tracks are stored? Or do you have to import that separately?

Sorry if I missed an obvious answer to these questions on your site.

mrmike_49@yahoo.com

Basic process is:
1) You record the album sides in high resolution. This raw file is never modified or changed in any way
2) You create individual tracks, clean-up audio, and save the TRACKS under the album directory. You can specify different audio format than the album side raw recordings (FLAC is a good LOSSLESS format to save TRACKS with)
3) Not positive, but I believe that you could then set up a separate directory for saved tracks with a different audio format (MP3)- if not, you could use a program like dBPoweramp to do a conversion of the existing TRACKs to a different format

I guess that VS stores the imported artwork both embedded in tracks and in the directory because different players find the art different way- VS does both automatically - ONCE you specify which artwork to download

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

> From the feature list, it would appear that I can store the same set of tracks at two different sample rates in different directories using the same high-res source, but I can't be sure from the info provided so far.

Actually, doing that is awkward if both copies are to be saved in the same file format.  Instead, I recommend using different formats for the two copies.  You can then set VinylStudio up to save them how you want them, and to save them in different folders.

> When you do the Internet lookup of track info, do you also store the album cover image to the directory in which the tracks are stored? Or do you have to import that separately?

Album art is embedded in the saved tracks.  It can generally be imported from one of the online databases, although Discogs is not working at the moment (we will have a fix soon).

RalphDaly28

Thank you for the answers. I will definitely be buying VS Pro as soon as I get my new hardware.