News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Cartridge Rubs on Record

Started by pkzman, August 16, 2020, 05:59:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pkzman

OK, got it. No contractions. I have not had this happen before.
So, I have a couple of albums that are just warped enough that the edge of the cartridge rubs slightly against the vinyl and you can hear it on the recording (every rotation). Interestingly, with corrections off it is much less noticeable, but then you hear all of the clicks. I read a little more in depth last night about Patch and Insert Manual Repair, and will give that a try today, but was wondering if you had any thoughts on this. It will be a huge endeavor to try to fix each rub for an entire album. I scoured the forum and could not find anything similar.
Thank you so much for VS, and your patience with this post! 😁
Cheers for now,
Paul Z

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

I have no specific suggestions as I have not had to deal with this problem myself.  Patch is probably the way to go, along with the ) and ( keys, which move forward and back by one rotation of the disk.

pkzman

Thanks Paul
Will investigate further today.

Lewis

Quote from: pkzman on August 16, 2020, 05:59:15 PM
I have a couple of albums that are just warped enough that the edge of the cartridge rubs slightly against the vinyl and you can hear it on the recording (every rotation).
Hi. Acc to my experience, it is the needle that is to blame. Check whether it is properly angled.
Any rotation had produced artifacts so I changed the entire cartridge.

pkzman

Steve Crook

You could try trying to flatten the record a little. This is if you've got an airing cupboard or similar, they're just warm enough that, over time an LP will flatten.

Two sheets of glass at least 3mm to cover the whole record surface, but if your merchant will go thicker why not???
Put the cleaned record in it's inner sleeve between the clean glass with enough weight on the top piece to ensure the LP is forced flat. You don't have to use the inner sleeve, if you're confident the glass is perfectly clean.
Forget about it for a few weeks.

You won't get rid of the warp, but you will reduce it enough to make the LP a little more playable. It's a slow method but works well enough.

I've heard of people using a warm oven. But, really, that's at your own risk!