News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE to Vinyl Studio for DSD256 recording Master tapes

Started by bahringe, August 04, 2023, 08:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bahringe

I have a RME ADI-2 Pro FS R BE and I want to record 1/4 reel to reel in DSD256 with Vinyl Studio.
Is there a cheat sheet somewhere for what settings should be in the ADI-2 and in Vinyl Studio?
Right now my chain is:
Otari MX5050 BXII-2 XLR ---> ADI-2 analog inputs ---> ADI-2 USB ---> Windows 10 DAW running Vinyl Studio w RME ASIO driver updated/installed ---> Vinyl Studio Record device ASIO with dsd256 selected as the sample rate.

All I get is the white noise of listening to a DSD stream as analog.
What mode does the ADI-2 need to be in?
What config needs to happen in Vinyl Studio?

I ask here because I don't see this info posted anywhere but it seems several people are doing this type of recording.
TIA,
Eric
NYC

RME flash update USB 266, DSP 117

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

The recording setup certainly looks right.  But how are you playing the recorded audio back?  Is that in VinylStudio?  (Or are you perhaps using VinylStudio's 'monitor recording' function, and if so to what playback device please?)

Hopefully, we can get to the bottom of this.  RME tell me have tested their hardware with VinylStudio but I'm not sure how long ago that was.  We don't have one here, unfortunately.

bahringe

I was using the monitor playback function with my local Realtek speakers just to see what the signal was. I haven't gotten to recording anything as I can't get the Check Level page to listen to the correct signal.

bahringe

I can change the Playback device to ASIO using the ASIO MADIface USB driver and it will play the test sound correctly, but the monitor playback is still just the white noise of listening to a digital signal as a analog signal.

OK, thanks.  Could you make a short test recording please (30 seconds or so) upload it to our Dropbox account?  I can then take a look at it.  I'll email you a link for that direct.

Also, a screenshot of VinylStudio's Check Level dialog would let me confirm you have the correct settings, just in case we're chasing shadows.  You can upload this to the forum or send it by email, whichever you prefer.

After that, if we're still struggling, I can get in touch with RME direct.  They can at least test whether it works for them, which is something I can't do here.  They're usually very helpful.

And at your end, you could try other DSD data rates (64, 128) to see if that has any effect.  Monitoring via the RME itself might also tell us something, as it works in a different way.  But monitoring via your internal speakers should definitely work.

One way or another, we'll get to the bottom of this.

Just a quick summary of how this got resolved, in case anyone else is affected.  Turns out from this thread on the RME forums, that you have to select DSD on the front panel to switch modes:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=37867

I have to 'fess up here and say that I once knew this, but in all the excitement I forgot.  Other devices don't behave this way (they switch automatically).

To avoid this kind of confusion happening in future, we will add a popup to the software to the effect that, for RME devices, you have to switch modes manually.  It will be possible to suppress this popup.

This change will be in the next Beta (V13.1.5 Beta 1).  Please monitor the following thread to be alerted when we release it:

https://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2567.0

Thanks.