News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

VS with Pro-Ject Record Box E / Very Bad Trip...

Started by BruceFeuillette, October 29, 2018, 02:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceFeuillette

Hi !
Just to let you know: I used to use a Pro-Ject Record Box E with VS to rip my vinyl. And it's not a great idea !
The Record Box has an USB plug so it seems an easy and fast computer connection. But the USB input is really bad.
For a long time I wasn't happy with my Iron Maiden's "Virtual XI" vinyl and Blackberry Smoke's "Like An Arrow". The Dynamic Range was better than the CD but I was disappointed. I clearly saw a limit on the waveform in VS. Until I read reviews on the first mentioned vinyl, stating that it was a great recording...  :o
Upon further enquiries I saw that the volume on these 2 albums was higher than usual. So I gave a try to my Soundblaster X-Fi HD with a built-in phono preamp and 96Khz/24bits, on USB.
And it was way better !  ???
Conclusion : if the volume output of the vinyl is too high, the USB output of the Record Box will limit it. So you will have a less dynamic recording than with the analog output.
The Record Box E is fine on analog, but be careful with the numeric.

Jerrysnb

Jerry S

BruceFeuillette

No, the Record Box has no volume control.
I've plugged the Record Box on my Soundblaster in the analog input and everything was fine, I had a full and unlimited recording.
It's only the USB that can't deliver the full capacity of the sound. Why ? I don't know !
Maybe the driver is bad as it's a generic driver. The Pro-ject is USB 1.1 where the Soundblaster is USB 2.0, so a better bandwidth. Or something like that. :)

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

It's down to the USB ADC chip that they use.  Many budget / mid-range USB devices have the same shortcoming.  Some solve the problem by putting a gain knob on the front (which is my favourite solution, provided it has enough range).