News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Fields in track titles?

Started by Jerrysnb, October 20, 2018, 12:35:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerrysnb

Perhaps I'm missing the obvious, as I am wont to do.

I have a classical album, and each track has a different artist, composer, and title. I can use fields to construct a file name with all of the relevant information, but the track titles don't show anything but what I've typed in (or imported).

I've tried a couple of players and gotten mixed results when I export my tracks as MP3s. Windows Media Player, which I've always considered dumb as a box of rocks, actually displays the track title and the track composer (but not the track artist); other players don't display the track composer.

Am I missing something here (other than that the world of media players is a lawless place)?

Would it be practical to allow fields in track titles? I can see some problems with recursion here.
Jerry S

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Yes, different players do / show different things.

I'm unclear what you mean when you say 'fields in track titles'.  Perhaps you could clarify, thanks.

Jerrysnb

Here's the situation:

I painstakingly edited the track details for each of the thirty-odd tracks in an album. I also set up the file name keywords to reflect the composer of each track individually. So far, so good.

I saved the tracks as MP3s. The problem is that although the file name shows all of the right information, the track titles don't. Some MP3 players show the composer data, some don't. The rest of the track and album information is also shown differently by different players. Windows Explorer doesn't show all of the information, either.

What I was musing about was the ability to use similar (or the same) keywords in track titles:

[Composer] - Flight of the Bumblebee

That way the information would be displayed, regardless of the player. It could also help with file formats that don't store all of that ancillary information.
Jerry S

Jerrysnb

Sorry, I keep referring to keywords as fields.
Jerry S

It's an interesting idea, thank you, we'll file it.

double6jg

You need to get to grips with mp3tag. It can convert info in file names to tags and vice versa. I regard it as an important post processor after creating files via VS.

Hello again,

We have sort-of implemented this in V11.8.0 Beta 10.  There are now options in the Settings / Preferences dialog to prepend the composer and / or conductor to the track title when tagging saved tracks.

You can get the software here:

https://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/VinylStudio/VSInstall_Exe_Beta.exe (Windows)

https://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/VinylStudio/VinylStudio-Installer-Beta.pkg (Mac)