News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

No audio input after upgrade to Mojave OS on Mac

Started by joebee53, September 29, 2018, 12:22:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joebee53

First try to record after upgrading to Mojave OS on my Mac Mini and no audio input through either my Audience ID14 or Schiit Jil ADC. The Audient ID app shows input but the Audio Midi preferences panel will not let me adjust the master volume level for either device. Anybody else having this issue?

joebee53

I downloaded Sound Studio 4 and the installer asked if I wanted to give the app permission to use the microphone and I clicked yes and voila - I had audio input. Is it possible Vinyl Studio somehow doesn't have permission to use the microphone on this Mojave update? I don't see anything in the sound preferences or the audio midi setup that allows the user to give that permission. This is very frustrating!

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

Are you seeing a signal in Audio Midi setup?  You selected the relevant input device in VinylStudio's Check Level dialog I take it.

VinylStudio doesn't need to ask for permission to use your Microphone because it isn't 'sandboxed', so it's not that, but see also:

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2018/08/16/howto-mac-camera-microphone-permission/

joebee53

Hi Paul,
Problem solved! In the new Mojave OS under the system preferences "Security & Privacy" there is a "Microphone" tab that gives the apps you select permission to use the "Microphone." Once I checked off the box for Vinyl Studio - audio input returned!

OK, thanks.  I'm sure other people will find this helpful.

a-one69

It seems that Mojave definitely requires Vinyl Studio to 'confirm access to the microphone'. - and in particular to re-confirm it when Vinyl Studio is updated.  I just spent a very frustrating hour trying to figure out why Vinyl Studio had stopped receiving any audio from my ADC.  It had been working since updating to Mojave, but as soon as I installed VS 10.0.0 I couldn't get Vinyl Studio to receive audio when my usual ADC was selected.

So a very large THANK YOU to the poster above who figured out that the new Microphone setting in OSX Settings / Security needs to be manually selected to allow Vinyl Studio to receive audio.   Other applications seem to be asking for permission to 'access the microphone' - even if they actually mean access to an external ADC.  As far as I am aware Vinyl Studio doesn't ask at the moment - but granting it permission manually in System Prefs does the trick.

OK, thanks for the update.  We will direct any other users with this problem here (although VinylStudio V10.0.2 does include some new code to address this problem).