News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Genre numbers

Started by dlivezey, June 21, 2009, 02:07:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlivezey

I have noticed that when I save the information from Edit Album Details, a number is (always? sometimes?) added to the genre text. For example, if I enter "New Wave" on the Record tab, and then later change and save from Edit Album Details (as I might if I went there to update the album art), the genre will change to "New Wave (66)." From that point, I can't delete the parenthetical number. Edit Album Details gives the appearance of allowing it, in that I can lop off the number and then save, but it turns out that the number is not actually removed in that case. I don't think the number gets added if I do not save from Edit Album Details after establishing the genre on the Record tab.

Am I missing something, and is there a way to address this using VinylStudio? If not, then I end up with variations of genres (e.g., "New Wave" and "New Wave (66)") in my MP3 collection, as other tools that I use do not insert the numbers. As it is now, I end up fixing it downstream, in my Zune software.

Any help is appreciated. I couldn't find this in the forums or help file. Sorry if it is there and I missed it.

Thanks for the help,
Don

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

No, you're not missing anything.  We put the numbers in because they are part of the ID3 spec and it seemed a good idea to conform to it.  If we are failing to add the number from the record screen, then that is an oversight.

But, if we are in a minority of 1 and other software doesn't include the genre number (as a quick Google search seems to imply) then I guess we should review this.  I'll put it on the to do list.

The ID3 spec is a bit of a mess, which is why situations like this tend to arise.

dlivezey

It seems like it would be nice if the software could suggest the number, but not force it. That, or make it a user preference whether or not to include it. However, I'm not familiar with the ID3 spec, nor what purpose the numbers have above and beyond the textual name for the genre. Is there a potential downside to not having the numbers?

Thanks

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Probably not, actually.  I think we'll just quietly take them out.

Update, 24Jun09: We did just that, in VinylStudio V6.10.  If you prefer the old behaviour please contact us for assistance.