News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

MCF file empty, but wav files, artwork files, and vsfiles are intact

Started by dplevin, August 02, 2018, 11:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dplevin

How do I restore a MCF file?   I have a collection named "My Albums."  When I open the collection in vinyl studio, there are NO recordings there.  There is a My Albums directory.   There are 502 WAV files for different sides in the directory.  There is a sub-directory for Artwork.  There are 213 files in it.  There is a sub-directory for VSFILES.  There are 2004 files in it - extensions are WFD, WFO, WFS, and WFT.  Looks like all of my work is there.  BUT MCF files does not recognize it.  How can I rebuild the MCF file?  How can I save my work?

Thank you,

David

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

1.  Do you have a backup of this file?  If so, well, obvious.

2.  Does My Albums.mcf.bak contain what you need (you can look inside it with Notepad (Win) or TextEdit (Mac)).  If it does, shut VinylStudio down and then copy it over My Albums.mcf.  That should fix the problem.

dplevin

Thank you for your quick response!  I found a solution, after exploring my redundant number of backed-ups. 

I had moved the contents from the first directory (the one I wrote you about) to another collection on another hard drive, but the underlying files were not erased from the first collection's sub-directories.  What I wrote you about was my discovery of the first collection's sub-directories' files, with an empty MCF file. 

I looked to see if all of the albums in the first collection are in the new collection.  I printed a list of the albums in the new collection.  I printed a list of the album names in the first directory from the VSfiles sub-directory.  The collections are the same.  Whew!