News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Flac settings

Started by sd10wrangler, December 17, 2017, 09:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sd10wrangler

When converting my tracks to Flac I am using option 0 (fastest, largest files) setting. As I have plenty of hard drive space is it possible to have a Flac uncompressed setting as in dbpoweramp.
Loving the software!
Thanks.

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

Why would you want that?  FLAC is lossless, so compression doesn't affect the audio quality at all.

sd10wrangler

I understand.
As there are 8 other settings for compression (for speed and disk space considerations) and there exists another setting  which uses more disk space and is faster, why not?
Cheers.

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Faster how?  The compression time is a one-off cost and usually not a factor on a modern machine, and when playing the cost of decompression is irrelevant as long as the machine can keep up (which, in practise, it always can).

To put it another way, our view of FLAC is that the reason for using it is as a portable, lossless format that offers a useful degree of compression.  I'll be honest and say that we didn't know about uncompressed FLAC when we wrote the code but I still don't see the point of it.