News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

DSD Import - Processing - Conversion - Codec

Started by MOS2000, October 04, 2017, 12:19:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MOS2000

Hi AlpineSoft-Team and all others,
I stumbled upon VS because its ability to work with DSD Streams but can find very little information on this topic in the forums.
May buy a copy for the convenient functions and the nice features... but need some info first.

I record with a Tascam DA 3000, which is capable to record into DSD/DFF streams.
To use this for vinyl is somewhat ridiculous, but it gives the biggest headroom for recording - makes it more easy and convenient in a way...
To edit my recordings I produce PCM exports with Tascam Hires Editor, then follows a combination of software, which may be replaced by VS, if the filters and corrections work fine for me.

So, here are my questions for starters:
First of all, does the demo version support all the import / export functionality concerning DSD operations?

Then on editing DSD files...
To my understanding, there is no way to edit (declick, denoise etc...) a DSD file without converting it from 1 bit to a "PCM resolution" file.
There is "no way" to do calculations with a 1 bit stream, as you need "an amount of bits" to alter a waveform when declicking for example.

The information in his topic
http://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=673.msg2191#msg2191
is confusing (for me)...heard of DoP files for the first time...

dBpoweramp Codec Central gives some answers on DoP/DSD:
https://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-dsd-dff-dsf-sacd.htm
Is this what "happens" when DSD files are edited in VS?

And VS can "reconstruct" the "original" 1 bit stream (which can not be the "same" stream when altered in variuos editing calculations) when exporting to DSD again?
To me, this is against my logical understanding of what a DSD stream is (... I might be wrong of course...). :D

As humans do have a problem to hear a difference between resolutions higher than 44/16 - I just want to try it because it is possible. ;)
Normally my editing process ends with 48/24 flacs, but it would be nice to have a "real" DSD stream without clicks for testing and "other science crap".
I can, of course, use the Tascam Hires editor to convert any PCM File to a DSD stream again, bloating it in size with no effect to (if existing at all) quality aspects.
So, if it is possible to give a short explanation _why_ VS can be useful to me when working with DSD files, that would be highly appreciated.
I will try VS anyway to find out how good the filters are...

Best regards and thanks in advance
Stefan

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

Here is my best attempt at some answers for you.

> Does the demo version support all the import / export functionality concerning DSD operations?

Yes it does, the only restriction being that the results of any audio cleanup (see below) are not saved.

> To my understanding, there is no way to edit (declick, denoise etc...) a DSD file without converting it from 1 bit to a "PCM resolution" file.

VinylStudio can perform audio cleanup on DSD files but the results can only be saved as PCM.

> The information in his topic [...] is confusing (for me)

In what way?  DoP is a DSD stream encapsulated in a PCM file.  If you play it on a player that doesn't understand DoP you don't hear anything.

> dBpoweramp Codec Central gives some answers on DoP/DSD: [...] Is this what "happens" when DSD files are edited in VS?

I think I answered that above.

> And VS can "reconstruct" the "original" 1 bit stream (which can not be the "same" stream when altered in various editing calculations) when exporting to DSD again?

No.  When saving as DSD, all it can do is split tracks and perform file format conversions.

> So, if it is possible to give a short explanation _why_ VS can be useful to me when working with DSD files, that would be highly appreciated.

My own view is that DSD is for enthusiasts only, mainly because it takes up a lot of space and is not editable.  PCM is just fine for vinyl.

MOS2000

Hi Paul,
thanks for the quick reply.
So it is for VS as for all other editing solutions.
Nobody has found a way to edit DSD Files in "native" form - all edits must happen before the stream is encoded. Everything else is always performed/saved in various PCM resolutions.
That's OK, as it is not shattering all I know about those formats. :)
You're absolutely right on the quality/size  aspect - it is a nobrainer to record to DSD.
But mankind can do it - so it will be done. :)

VS looks like a nice piece of software... think it's worth a test.

Best regards
Stefan