News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

DSD Saved As DoP Files and dff to dsf Conversion

Started by dtc, January 02, 2016, 04:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dtc

This has come up on other forums and I think VS may be a solution. The issue is converting between various DSD format.  For example taking a DSD file, in particular a dff file, and converting it to a flac file with DoP encoding. I believe VS does that. One question is whether it goes through PCM to do that, but I would suspect it does not, since the DoP option says not changes will be made.  Also, what is the appropriate PCM  sample rate for 1x and 2x DSD files, when converting to DoP? On the flip side, can VS turn a flac file with DoP encoding into a DSD file, namely dsf.

In addition, I believe VS can convert a dff file into a dsf file. Once again, does it do that in native DSD format, or is there a PCM conversion in the middle? As I understand it, the actual data for a dff and dsf file are the same, it is just the header, including tags, that is different. I have come across several people who want to convert dff to dsf so they can add tags.

So, can VS do all these without going through PCM.

dff to DoP flac
dsf to DoP flac
DoP flac to dsf
DoP flac to dff
dff to dsd

Thanks.

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

Yes, all those conversions leave the DSD bitstream as-is.  It's just encapsulated differently in the different file formats.  VinylStudio can also convert DoP to or from any other lossless file format that it supports, namely WAV, AIFF, and on the Mac, Apple Lossless and CAF.

You don't need to worry about the sample rates used (or, rather, needed) when storing DoP in (say) FLAC files.  VinylStudio will choose this automatically - for standard rate DSD it's 176 kHz / 24 bit and for double rate it's 384 kHz / 24 bit.

There is also a batch file conversion option under the 'More' button in the Save Tracks / Batch Operations window, but the main issue for people who want to work with files ad-hoc is probably living with VinylStudio's 'Collection' paradigm, where you have to create an album and then import your recording before you can work on it.

If that's workable in any particular instance, then everything else should be ok.

dtc

Thanks Paul. As usual, VS does things right! I've run into several discussions lately that claim there is not software that does these things. I'll keep pointing them here.  VS deserves to be better known.

I also have some dff files that I have downloaded that I will convert to dsf so I can tag them.

Thanks,  as always.

EDIT: I just did a dff to dsf conversion and it worked perfectly. Great feature.