News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Import Sound File by link. Is there a way to unlink?

Started by GaryG, November 28, 2015, 08:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryG

Paul,
I archive my music to an external hard drive by copying the VS folder to the hard drive.  This copies the .wav files, .crd files, .mcf files, and artwork and vsfiles folders to the external drive.  After that is complete I remove the recordings via Batch>Delete Selected Albums or Album Components and only check Remove Recordings.  Recently I found an album that required more cleanup work, and imported the .wav file using Leave File where it is at (and link to it).  After I'm done working on it, is there a way to undo the link?

I looked at the .mcf file with Notepad and found a File History statement for the album that has a path to the external hard drive.  My concern is if this album is mistakenly selected when I do a Remove Recordings in the future the .wav file will be deleted from my external hard drive.  I do backup the external hard drive, so I could recover, if needed.  I've probably overlooked an option to do the unlink.

Thanks,

Gary

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

You can just use 'Remove Recordings'.  This has an option to delete linked files which is, by default, unchecked.  In any case, it will go to the Recycle Bin (Windows) / Trash (Mac) if you make a mistake.

GaryG

Paul,
As I thought, I was overlooking the obvious - recover from the Recycle Bin.  Fortunately everything worked fine with Remove Recordings.  Remove Recordings messages were the same as when I'm removing recordings for archiving, and I didn't notice the option to delete linked files.

Sorry it took a while to get back to you.  One album had an easy repair, but I've been engaged with another one had scruffs on it that I cannot cleanup.  I plan to do wash the album, and if the scruffs disappear, I'll re-record it.

Gary