News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

RIAA Equalization question...

Started by 20trc32, September 17, 2015, 06:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

20trc32

Hello,
New user here. I have installed the trial version of VinylStudio and have been able to to get just about everything set up and running.
I'm using a AT-LP120-USB turntable, connecting to PC via USB connection.

I am about to try my first recording, but I'm confused about the RIAA Equalization setting.
I am not sure if I need to turn this setting on. And also the "Inverse" setting also?
Was wondering if I could get some guidance on this?
If I do not need to use this RIAA setting, What is the criteria for using RIAA equalization?

Thanks for any help on this.

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

No, you should enable neither option.  RIAA equalisation is built into your turntable.

RIAA equalisation (or other curves) in software is mainly useful for older pressing that used non-standard curves.  That was happening before 1954 or so.

20trc32

Hello Paul,

Thanks for the quick reply...so I only turn RIAA on when I am recording a disk made before 1954?

Sorry for the confusion, I just got into digital audio two months ago, still learning. Just got done ripping all my 400+ cd's last week...now trying to digitize my 700 records.

Thanks again for the help and expecting to buy VinylStudio tonight....great program!

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

For a disc that needs an equalisation curve other than RIAA, turn equalisation on, select the relevant curve and, because your turntable already does RIAA equalisation on its own, click the 'Inverse' setting also.

What you are doing is reversing the equalisation applied by the turntable and then reapplying the correct curve for the disc in question.

It can be tricky knowing what the curve should be.  Manufacturers at the time tended not to let on what it was.

20trc32

Got it!
It's been an interesting two months learning this. I work in digital imaging/3D graphics, so I have been picking it up fairly quick.
Thanks so much Paul for helping me get my head wrapped around this RIAA. Luckily I do understand the curve selections and it looks like much I own, is on labels listed in the curves, like Decca...London, ect.

Thank you again Paul and have a good night.