News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Rename Collection Problem

Started by GaryG, February 12, 2015, 03:06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryG

I encountered a possible problem trying to use Rename Collection on a test collection.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but the command doesn't have many options.  The error messages are below.

Cannot rename file:

R:\Music Library\VS Test Collection

to:

R:\Music Library\VS Test Collection Old

error 3 (The system cannot find the path specified.)

The VS Test Collection resides in path C:\Users\Gary\My Music\VS Test and folder VS Test contains file VS Test Collection.mcf and folder VS Test Collection.
R:\Music Library is on an external drive used to save tracks for my permanent collection and is not connected to my laptop at the time of the rename.  It is listed in Settings option "Your saved tracks will be stored in folder:".
If I go into Windows Explorer while the error message is displayed, it shows the mcf file and folder with names VS Test Collection Old, and when I click OK for the error message the names revert back to the original.  I don't know why the Rename command is looking at the saved tracks folder.

I'm using VinylStudio V8.7.0 and Windows 7 SP1.

I have another question concerning a topic from an old post.  Has anything been done to be able to delete collections so they don't show up in the Recent Collections option?  It isn't a big deal, but it would be nice to delete some empty collections from the Recent Collections list.  A possible way to do it would be to uninstall VinylStudio, reinstall it, and manually open collections that you want to keep, but I think it isn't worth the effort to cleanup a list.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Gary

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

Please connect your external drive while renaming.  Then it will work.  VinylStudio attempts to rename the folder containing your saved tracks when it renames a collection.  This may not be wise - we will review it.

Alternatively, you can rename the .mcf file and the folder containing your recordings manually in Explorer.  Make sure they have the same name!  Then open the renamed collection via File .. Open Collection.

VinylStudio only offers to remove entries in the Recent Collections menu when you try to use one that is no longer present.  So if you don't need the collection any more, you can delete the (empty) .mcf file and (empty) folder containing your recordings and then select it from the Recent Collections menu.

GaryG

Paul,
Thanks for the quick response.  I was able to rename the collection by connecting the external drive, and the alternate method worked fine too.  Originally I was concerned that something during the rename process might effect my saved tracks folder.  I didn't see why the rename process would need the saved tracks folder because I haven't found a tie between a collection and the saved tracks folder.
If I have collection A and in Settings set the saved tracks folder for it to TracksA. then create collection B, I will have to change the saved tracks folder in Settings if I want collection B to save tracks in a folder named TracksB.  Also, if I'm using collection B and TracksB and decide to switch to collection A, I'll have to go to Settings to change the saved tracks folder to TracksA.  This isn't problem for me because I plan to have one collection and probably not use the test collection again.

Gary

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

There's a checkbox in VinylStudio's Settings / Preferences dialog for the Saved Tracks folder entitled 'Append name of collection to this folder'.  This is checked by default and has the effect that the name of the current collection is appended to the name of the rfolder you specify.  It therefore follows that (a) each collection saves tracks in a different folder, and (b) if you name a particular collection then you would want that folder renamed too.

However, when renaming a collection, VinylStudio tries to rename the folder even if that box is not checked.  In your case, I surmise that it is chacked so no harm is done, but it's clearly a bug when the box is not checked and we will fix it.  We will also make renaming the saved tracks folder for the current collection optional, when you rename a collection.

GaryG

Paul,
Thanks for the explanation, and now I see the logic.  I don't have the box checked.  My Saved Tracks folder for VS Test Collection was C:\Users\Gary\My Music\TestWAV and R:\Music Library is the saved tracks folder for a collection named Vinyl Music Collection, which is located in C:\Users\Gary\Vinyl Music Collection.  Your proposed changes sound great.  Thanks for your help.

Gary