News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Large Scratch - How to Remove

Started by dtc, October 21, 2014, 02:53:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dtc

I  have a large scratch in the first minute or so on one track. It runs from the edge of the vinyl towards  the center, so recurs at a very predictable spot and is very short in duration. I ran click removal with the default settings and it did not remove the scratch, although it did a great job on the rest of the album. I am not sure where to start to try to remove this scratch. I could try a higher level of click removal, but would want to be able to limit that to the areas with the scratch. I guess I could cut that brief section out, but that would be a last resort. I am not sure what other options to try. This is the first time I have such a big scratch. Any suggestions on how to proceed would be appreciated. Thanks.

dtc

I played a while with this and here is what I found. I tried various click/hum/hiss options and none of them helped the problem. So, I tried manually patching a few of the spots and that seems to work. The scratch is about .1 seconds wide which seems sharp when you listen to it, but I guess is very broad for a "click". There are about 20 of these per minute and I have almost 2 minutes to fix, which means about 40 patches. That will take a while since I have to manually zoom in on each one of them to select the correct area. My guess is there is no way to automate the manual patch process, but if there is any quicker option, I would appreciate suggestions. At least I think I can use the manual process if that is the only option.

Paul, by the way I had 2 crashes while doing these patches. Not sure if you got the dump files or not. Here is the error code I got for the last one, if that helps.

Exception c0000005 occurred at EIP=0x7732355f writing address 0x139619e2 (dump file generated)

VinylStudio V8.66
Windows version 6.1.7600.2 (), SP0.0

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

Having patched one click, try the ( and ) keys.  These jump you backwards or forwards one disc rotation, which should leave you at or close to the next location you need to patch.  You can set the disc rotation speed in the Edit Album Details dialog if needs be (it defaults to 33 1/3).

You will still need to patch each click manually.  If the click scanner can't find the click, it's the only way.

I didn't get the crash reports, no.  Next time it happens, if it does, please try sending it again.

NB: The email address we have for you is wrong, which is why you didn't receive a notification of this reply.  Please supply us with your new address and we will update our database:

http://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/contact_us.aspx

dtc

Quote from: dtc on October 21, 2014, 05:16:30 AM

Paul, by the way I had 2 crashes while doing these patches. Not sure if you got the dump files or not. Here is the error code I got for the last one, if that helps.

Exception c0000005 occurred at EIP=0x7732355f writing address 0x139619e2 (dump file generated)

VinylStudio V8.66
Windows version 6.1.7600.2 (), SP0.0

With Version 8.7 patch and manual repair are working very well on my 24/192 files. I spent this afternoon repairing several pretty noisy albums and VS did a great job. Thanks for fixing this problem. My files are really clean, starting from albums that were hard to listen too. It takes time, but the tools work great. Thanks.

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

PeterGalbavy

Quote from: Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft) on October 21, 2014, 10:30:31 AM
Having patched one click, try the ( and ) keys.  These jump you backwards or forwards one disc rotation, which should leave you at or close to the next location you need to patch.  You can set the disc rotation speed in the Edit Album Details dialog if needs be (it defaults to 33 1/3).

Having just bought VS and not even used it, this was one of the "features" I wanted to ask about on the forum as I didn't see anything in the scan of the documentation. Now I don't have to. I am liking VS more already :)

Peter

GaryG

Peter,
On the VS home page on the left hand side just above topic Forums there is the topic Help File.  Download the Windows or Mac PDF and look at the Cleanup Audio section.  The Windows section starts on page 21.  While in VS, you can click on Help>Help Index and the same info is in the Cleanup Audio section.  The section discusses a number of cleanup options.

I'm restarting the transfer of my albums to 24/96 using VS and was going to skip the VS cleanup and trial ClickRepair instead because of the good things I've heard about CR.  Based on this post, I'm going to compare the VS cleanup to ClickRepair because the VS cleanup appears to be more robust than I originally thought.

Gary