News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Discogs Authorization

Started by sdmc229, October 17, 2014, 08:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hello again,

We have now made some progress with this and can report that the problem affects certain albums only.  An example is Led Zeppelin || by Led Zeppelin.  I have reported this to Discogs and am awaiting their response.

We can actually work around this, and since Discogs don't seem to be making much headway we will probably do so in the next version.  We can't release anything immediately, but if there's no news from Discogs we will provide a beta with this fix included as soon as we can.

In the meantime, the lookup should work with the majority of albums.  If anybody finds one which fails, please post details here and try to get a track listing and album cover from Music Brainz or tracktype.org (there are no album covers available from the latter).  The Amazon databases contain a lot of noise, have no track times and are really only useful for album covers.

sdmc229

Thanks Paul. I will give it a try

sdmc229

I did the following, and received the same behavior:

1. revoked access from discogs
2. Opened Vinyl Studio
3. Looked up track listing using:

• Artist: Metallica
  • Title: Master of Puppets
4. Authorized
5. 401 Error

Yes, that one seems to fail.  Could you try some others?  I'm not sure how many succeed and how many don't, and have yet to discern any sort of pattern.

That said, we will get an update out as soon as we can.

dtc

I see 2 behaviors. On some albums the discogs lookup happens without asking for any authorization. When it does ask for authorization, it occasionally works, but on other lookups it goes into a infinite loop - VS asks me to authorize, I copy the authorization code and VS asks me to authorize again, etc.  I have stopped using discogs in general and only use it now if one of the other options does not give me good results. That said, the other options work fine most of the time. It just takes a few extra lookups to check the other sources.

OK, thanks.  We'll releaee an update to fix this as soon as we can, and then post back to this thread.

David McDonald

Hi Paul,

I regret to inform you that I am experiencing the same issue with authorization. I've completed the following troubleshooting steps:

Reinstalled Vinyl Studio (V8.6.6) (Windows 7, x64)
Went into Discogs website and removed authorization and re-added.
Attempted multiple albums with same result.

I've used Discogs previously with no issue. I've been getting by using the other services but I prefer discogs when possible. As of right now I am in an endless authorization loop.

OK, thanks.  We will issue an update as soon as we can.  We are waiting for something from our american colleagues.

dtc

According to the VS documentation I can enter a catalog number for Discogs lookup and it will find the album. The only think I find in Discogs is Release Number, in the upper right hand corner. It is a number like r123456. It that the catalog number? If so, using that number with a # in front of it does not find the album. Not sure if I am using the wrong number or the problem is the result of this authorization problem. I like the idea of using the catalog number, since I can often find an album in discogs myself much easier than having VS look it up.

Thanks for any help.

Hi,

Precede it with a # symbol, e.g. #r123456.  But it's not the same as the release number.  It's the item circled in red in this screenshot (click and scroll across):

And it's nothing to do with authorisation.  That's a separate issue.

dtc

Thanks. I will look for those.

tonedimension

I wanted to add that I am experiencing the endless authorization loop with discogs as well. I've tried checking things mentions in this thread and still seem to be in an endless loop. This worked up until the last update I think. I am on the Mac version v8.6.6 and am running OS X 10.8.5. Other services seem to work but the link to discogs has been broken somehow.

Hi,

We hope to issue the promised update next week.  It's all a little vexing - Discogs mandated changes and then we get all these problems.

tonedimension

No problem. I have had no other issues with the software and am absolutely loving it! Really simple, intuitive and the workflow is a great fit for me. The sonics are absolutely fine as well. I just wanted to let you know the issue existed on a Mac platform as well.

Thanks for the response and I look forward to the fix.

bcart

I use Discogs constantly and have had no trouble until tonight. I have been trying to do a lookup on Revolver by The Beatles and I get the authorization loop. I had no trouble eailrler tonight looking up the Zephyr album (Tommy Boylan, that worked fine.