News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

usb gain

Started by dag nabbit, September 09, 2014, 12:51:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dag nabbit

when using a phono preamp with a usb gain control, does it matter where the level is set if you check the Set Digital Gain To One button in the check level window?do i put the level where i want it and then click the button?  do not grok to fullness how this works.

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

Clicking the button will set the slider to the optimum position, so it doesn't matter where you position it beforehand.

Basically, the slider is a con.  It scales the signal in the digital domain, rather than before it enters the ADC, which is pointless and indeed harmful.  Hence the button.

dag nabbit

thanks paul. i dug into the back posts and found a thread from jan. 2013 where you basically answered my question.  looks like iv'e been doing it right by using the gain knob to make VS's UV just dip its toes into the red. the slider sits at 3, and i never move it. recordings are coming out very nicely.

Yes, that's the way to do it

Brick12

I'm recording with the AT-LP 120 USB turntable; however, when I use the digital gain button the slider goes all the way to the top (100) rather than setting to 2 or 3.  I'm using Windows 7 and wonder if I need to adjust my sound settings.  Seems like Windows is ignoring the digital gain button.

Hi,

Are your recordings then clipping, or is the level OK?  The way it worls is we ask Windows what the level should be for a digital gain of 1 and then set it in the slider.  I can't think of a reason why your system should be different to normal.

Brick12

Well, it works now.  Actually set to 5.  I hooked up my turntable, reviewed the sound settings in Windows, then launched VS.  Previously I had digitized approx. 30 albums without using the DG button; however, had been encountering some clipping on louder albums so decided to start using it (as advised by VS).  I also just refreshed by audio drivers so that may have fixed the problem as opposed to the protocol described above.  Thanks!