News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

DSD problems -- but I followed all directions

Started by magister, September 01, 2014, 07:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magister

I have  PSA NuWave phono converter.  In the past I have been able to record to DSD but now I can't.

I have changed the front panel input to DSD.  I have set the slider to 100 and chosen Asio in the dropdown.  Yet I still get a message saying that "The incoming audio (PCM) does not match the settings in the recording options (DSD)."  I have tried again setting the front panel to DSD and it seems to take (that is, I set it, then go to some other screen, then back to the D/A screen, and DSD is shown).  The detect DoP option is checked in recording options.

Any suggestions??

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

Please try the following:

1.  Unselect ASIO in VinylStudio's Check Level dialog.  Select the PS Audio 'native' driver instead.

2.  Ensure that the recording level slider is set to maximum.

3.  Select ASIO again.

Then have another go.

magister

Thank you Paul, but unfortunately no success.  I did as you suggest.  When I reselect Asio, after confirming that the slider is at 100 while in PS native driver input, an "Asio driver" dropdown appears, with PS Audio USB driver as the choice.  That all looks correct.  But I still get the error message.

Hi,.

If you go back to the PS Audio native driver, is the slider still at maximum?  If so (and I imagine it will be), could you please make a short (~10 seconds) recording with the PS Audio set to DSD and VinylStudio set to PCM, 176 kHz 24 bit.  Please email it to:

p DOT sanders AT alpinesoft DOT co DOT uk

That way I can see the 'raw' data and maybe that will tell me something  Thanks.

Also, something else to try is changing USB cable and / or port.  Ideally, use a shielded cable and keep it as short as you can.

magister

Thanks again for the quick reply!  I already tried unplugging/replugging the USB cable, waiting 30 seconds in between.  Cable is only 1/2 meter and the same one as I used previously (with success).

I upgraded from 8.6.2 to 8.6.3 and now I get a different message:

There was a problem opening your recording device:
ASIO error -998 from ASIOCreateBuffers.
[etc.]

I will try what you suggest.

Hi,

Given the ASIO error (which is unlikely to be connected with the upgrade since we haven't changed anything in that area), it might be worth restarting your PC and cycling the power on the PS Audio.  I have to admit, I'm struggling here.

magister

I have to go away on business the rest of this week, so I will try again next weekend and let you know what happens.  Thanks again for the prompt support.

Magister, what version of Windows are you running please?  I have a separate report, as yet somewhat unsubstantiated, of a problem in this area with Windows 8.  Thanks.

OK, thanks.  That's where the problems have been reported elsewhere.

Please leave this with me.  I will try to get help from PS Audio.  But do please send me that 'raw' file when you get a moment so that I can check it out.  Thanks.

Just to update you, PS Audio are still looking into this problem.  The issue appears to be at their end.  If you have firmware version 00.48 (where it says 'main' in the photo below, in this case the version is 00.44), you might have some success reverting to version 00.46.  You can get that here:

http://www.psaudio.com/support/downloads/

I believe the installation procedure is to unzip the downloaded file to an empty USB stick and plug it into your NPC.

Here's the photo:

If you learn anything useful, I'd appreciate knowing.  Thanks.

Magister, PS Audi have asked me to ask you what version of NPC firmware ('main 00.xx') you are running please.

Also, have you ever been using Windows 8 (as opposed to 8.1) and if so did it work please?  you did say it used t work, once upon a time. Any idea what changed (such as a new version of VinylStudio or a firmware upgrade to the NPC).

Thanks.

At last we have a fix for this.  Sorry it took so long.  You need two things:

VinylStudio V8.7.0: http://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/VinylStudio/download.aspx

Version 00.52 firmware for the NPC: http://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/private/npc_firmware_v52.zip

To update the firmware in your NPC:

1.  Format a USB stick as FAT (you need a Windows machine for this)

2.  Download the zip file from the link above and unzip it to the USB stick.

3.  Plug the stick into the back of the NPC and then power on.

4.  Wait for the logo to stop flashing (takes a couple of minutes).

5.  Wait for the NPC to update itself (watch the front panel display).

You should then be good to go.