News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Navigation While Splitting Tracks

Started by JerryFreilich, August 10, 2014, 07:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JerryFreilich

I hope I'm not repeating a question already answered but... I'm a new user of VS and like it immensely. I have a question about navigation while splitting tracks. Is there a way to jump forward to the next track or jump back to the previous track using either buttons or keyboard? After entering info on a track just named, it would be nice to jump quickly to the next one.

Bravo on a truly elegant piece of software!

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

If you are in the Edit Track Details dialog, there are buttons to move to the next track or add anew track to the end of the listing.

In the Split Tracks window itself, N jumps to the next track and P to the previous track, but only if track break markers have been inserted (or track durations have been entered or looked up from one of the online databases).  If this condition isn't met, you have to click on the track in the list (but then you can click Edit Track Details and move from track to track in there).

JerryFreilich

Thanks for the excellent, instantaneous support! The N and P keys work perfectly. (Now you need to inform the rest of the users out there).

So now two more questions relative to Navigation.

1. What does an area shaded in light yellow mean? I see that one can add "Markers" with a yellow icon ... but I am sometimes seeing yellow shaded areas in the waveform. What are those, what do they do, and how do you clear them?

2. What does a vertical dashed line through the waveform (and extending up into the "timing" bar) mean? Can't select it, can't move it. It seems to be around an area where there was a recording glitch.

Thanks for any help.

Hi,

0.  It's in the help file.

1.  The light yellow area is the current selection, which you define by clicking and dragging in the waveform display.  You can do things with the selection (such as zooming it to fill the window) and you clear it by pressing Esc (this is mentioned in the yellow highlighted section status bar at the bottom of the window when a selection exists).

2.  The vertical dashed line shows the end of an album side (I don't think the help file mentions this, although it probably should).

JerryFreilich

Thanks for this clarification about the yellow section area and the manner to get rid of it.

The "end of side" dashed line makes no sense. Or at least it made no sense in my present situation. I was recording a whole lot of songs from reel-to-reel tape, all of them from the radio back in ancient times. The spot where the dashed line occurred also coincided with a glitch (a hiccup of some sort) in the recording process, and a repetition of the recorded material in the wave form. It seemed to me a Vinyl Studio glitch.

Hi,

We're not aware of any problem with the software in this regard.  Did you pause the recording at any point?  VinylStudio inserts a side break marker when you do.  You could post a screenshot of VinylStudio's Split Tracks window if you like.  That might tell me more.

JerryFreilich

Aha! I'll bet that's exactly what happened! Thanks once again for your superb service. The software is excellent. The thing I like the most about it is how it keeps your recordings and track edits carefully saved at all times. I've been using several other apps over the past years that would periodically and unpredictably crash -- with nothing saved. All was lost. Also, your waveform screen and within app navigation are all very nicely implemented.

I have two very small wishes or comments relative to splitting tracks and the user interface. One is that I would like it if the music would keep playing while you're in the track details box. Second, I don't like the way double clicking in the waveform creates a new track break. Adding track breaks with "B" is very nice and works well. Double clicking in the wave form (often accidentally on my part) is usually my effort to start or stop the music playing.... so then I have to "undo" the new track break. Hmm. Human interface issues! In any case, I rate Vinyl Studio very highly!!!