News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Track Editing

Started by seldenr, June 24, 2014, 09:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seldenr

Like a lot of folks, I am relatively new to Vinyl Studio, having purchased it a few weeks ago.  I am very, very pleased with the LPs I have digitized to date, and like it a lot more than that other brand that starts with "aud", has an "a" in the middle and ends with "city".  Just the ability to label tracks online is worth the price!  Then the ease with which you can insert tracks and move the starting point is marvelous.   

I am a crazy audiophile, and use a Benchmark ADC USB, which I also like.  I searched the forum and found a few related topics on editing a sound file, but none that quite matched my interest.  Here is my question:

I typically do not use the auto "needle drop" feature, so sometimes I have several seconds of slight vinyl "noise" at the intro (even using an Oracle Delphi V turntable).  In addition, sometimes between tracks there is a bit more noise than I prefer on some older albums (especially some old 78s). 

It is easy to select sections of the file (for example, the silence between tracks), but I don't see how to either delete that section or tell VS to insert silence into that section.  I do like to have a few seconds between tracks (or rather, for the time between tracks to be exactly the same amount as on the LP), but I would like to be able to mute/silence those few seconds if there is some noise there.  How do I do this?

Thanks for a great product, and the excellent support provided on this forum!

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

You can't do that directly, but the closest you can get is to advance the green start-of-track marker past the gap between tracks and then tell VinylStudio to insert a second or two of silence between tracks when saving them, which you can do in the Settings / Preferences dialog.  This won't preserve the lengths of the gaps as present on the original recording though.

romad

Hi, Paul

I have a similar question. I have a file (recorded in a different application) that has a VERY loud POP where the needle landed on the record. I'm trying to figure out how to delete/erase a few seconds of the recording that contains the pop. Is there a way to cut that portion out and then replace it with silence?

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

You can get rid of it by dragging the first green start-of-track marker past the needle-down 'pop' in the SPlit Tracks window.  There's usually plenty of run-in left to have a short period of silence before the track starts playing.

romad

Thanks, Paul, that worked.