News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Split tracks of multi-album sets?

Started by TimArends, May 06, 2010, 01:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimArends

How do you split the tracks of multiple albums? Normally, I record both sides of the album in a single session. However, I have a three-record set. Each record is marked with side one & two, but the individual records are not marked with a number or designated as being played in any particular order. So the track lookup feature will not work with this set, right? It seems to be a fairly obscure album so I don't know if it would be listed anyway.

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

So you have recorded each disc as a separate 'album', in VinylStudio terms? If the entire set were listed on one of the online databases, you could look it up three times and delete the tracks you don't want in each instance.  Does that make sense?

TimArends

Do you think the entire set of records would be included as one long listing on the databases, or do they always include each separate disk as an individual listing? So if the set had 3 records, there would be 3 listings for that set on the databases?

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

To be honest I'm not sure, but it probably varies.  Another correspondent did in fact tell me me that there are often separate entries for each disc of a multi-disc set, but (as a result of that correspondence) VinylStudio can now handle this even if you record all the discs as one album.

sbartnikowski

I'd like to share my experience with digitizing multiple-record sets.  I have a set of five LPs that is being offered as a 3-CD (and MP3 file) set on Amazon (Elizabeth Soderstrom singing Rachmaninov songs).  Fortunately, the Look Up Track Listing gave me all 86 track titles, which saved a lot, although I did have to manually determine the track boundaries.   I recorded each of the 10 sides individually, to keep better track and to avoid recording all 5 LPs in one sitting on one side. 

I used the Save Tracks tab to cleanup the audio (remove clicks and normalize) of the entire 10 sides.

I then appended [Disk 1] to the album title and proceeded to burn the first 26 songs on the first CD, and proceeded similarly for Disks 2 and 3. (I didn't want 5 CDs for 5 LPs).

I don't know if there is a better way to do this.  I have found at least a couple of multiple record sets, or multiple individual related LPs, offered as a CD(s), with the track listing available on Look Up Track Listing.  Of course, there is rarely a 1-1 correspondence between LPs and CDs.