News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Bizarre distortion

Started by WoodyWoodruff, May 05, 2014, 11:37:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodyWoodruff

In about one in three album sides, the sound of the recording, as heard with the Monitor Recording box checked, suddenly becomes very distorted.  This can happen anywhere on the album side.  I am playing records on a very good NAD turntable through an NAD 356BEE amplifier with an NAD PP3i phono pre-amp connected directly by USB cord to my Lenovo X220 tablet laptop computer running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.  This laptop has Conextant 20672 SmartAudio HC controller, and I use ASIO protocol, as advised previously by VinylStudio technical support.  The distortion is recorded on the WAV file on my internal hard drive but is not audible if playing the turntable directly through the amp and speakers with Monitor Recording unchecked, so the problem is somewhere on the computer.  I never get this distortion when playing music from the computer using iTunes, Windows Media, or any other music playing software.  The beginning of the distortion can be hard about half way through the attached sound file.  Can anyone help me eliminate this problem? 

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

Thanks for the sound clip.  It must be happening on the record side, rather than playback.  I'd try a different USB cable and / or port.

I'm not sure what led us to recommend ASIO, but try also without.  It could be driver-related.