News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Recommendations for USB analog-digital converter

Started by sbartnikowski, March 14, 2014, 06:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbartnikowski

My Vista computer just bit the dust, and my new computer (HP Windows 8.1) doesn't seem to support the Line In jack (says not plugged in, even though it is).  So I am looking for one of those USB devices to connect my stereo to my new computer.  Can anyone provide any recommendations for which one to buy (or provide suggestions to resolve the Line In jack issue)?

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Depending on what you want to spend, the ART USB Phono Plus, the NAD PP-4 (get the one with the gain control) and the Behringer UCA 202 (note no gain control) are all serviceable devices.  Also the Project Phono Box USB V (again, get the one with the gain control).

These are all in the $100-$200 range.  You can, of course, spend a lot more for something like the PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter, Furutech's (ADL) range of devices or the Ayre QA-9.  These will let you record at higher sample rates and bit depths, if that is important to you.

sbartnikowski

Thanks for your reply.  The ART USB Phono Plus looks the best, and costs less than $100 in the US.  The Behringer product UCA 202 (or UFO 202 ?) is also attractively priced, but doesn't have the gain control and clip lamp.

Both products indicate no drivers are required - simply plug and play.  But the literature does not specify Windows 8.1.   Should they work on Windows 8.1? I am no expert, but in my Windows 8.1 Sound settings, in the Recording tab, there is an IDT High Definition CODEC device called Stereo Mix.  Would I set this device to default (and possibly check the Advanced Properties) to record from the USB device to Vinyl Studio?

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

These devices should work with Windows 8.1, and you need to select USB Audio CODEC in VinylStudio's Check Level dialog to record from them.  USB Audio CODEC will appear when you plug the device in to the USB port.

pieters

Take a look at the Linestreamer+ ADC.  It does not have volume control, but after I figured that out, it poses no major problem.  The sound is excellent!  I'm running on Vista, so can't speak to Windows 8.

--Pieter

PS it does cost a bit more. 

dag nabbit

i'm happy with my new parasound zphono usb. $250 from audio advisor. has multiple inputs and filters, gain control and a fixed headphone jack for monitoring. riaa curves can be switched on and off. i switch it off as i use vinylstudio's. and of course it sounds great as a stand alone phono preamp. much happier with this than the nad pp4 i used previously.