News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Crackle sound on loud trumpet

Started by orangeade, March 09, 2014, 10:19:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeade

Hi All
New to this stuff, but, loving using VS.

So far, I have transferred 4 or 5 relatively modern LP's in order to get to know VS, however, I have started my main project and would like to ask the forum for advice.

The project: to transfer my father's (and his father's) 78's to digital format.
I am using my modern Technics turntable with a special needle (purchased from the USA) for playing 78's, turning at 45rpm and utilising VS's speed conversion functionality.

I have tried it out on a few records now and am very pleased with the results, however, one or two of my results aren't great.
The main problem I have is with loud trumpet parts where the loud sounds appear to get a form of crackle/distortion on them which disappears when the trumpet stops or goes quieter.

I have used the de-click function and the Hiss Filter that has done an amazing job, but, this crackle sound just takes the edge off my enjoyment.

So, what am I doing wrong?
Is there a function in VS I am not using that would help?
Is it a function of an old record with modern needle that I cannot get around?
Would recording it with lower input levels help?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers
Adrian

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

Do you hear the crackle if you play the record through your Hi-Fi?  Also, you might have the recording level set too high - check for clipping in VinylStudio's Check Level dialog on the affected passages.  Finally, the declicker can occasionally cause crackle on  brass sections, although this is rare, so check for that.

orangeade

Thanks, I'll have a close look at these points and come back to you.
Regards
Adrian

orangeade

Hmmm whilst out walking the dog and thinking about this, I will not be able to hear the crackle/distortion when playing the record through the hifi as it is turning at 45rpm and sounds totally different to what it should sound like.