News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Technical Ignorance

Started by LPBuff, January 15, 2014, 09:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LPBuff

Hey Everyone, I'm looking for a good primer that explains the terminology and features used in 'Vinyl Studio'. I just upgraded to 8.6.2 from older version of over a year ago. I am ignorant about a lot of the terms and features, e.g. record equalisation. Why would I want to use this and what does it do. Also what is DSD vs PCM? The list of questions I have could fill a small book. I welcome any suggestions for learning the basics of audio practices, standards, and terminology that will help me better use this wonderful though at times overwhelming software. Thanks, Randall in Nashville TN, USA

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

Recording equalisation and DSD are features for advanced users and it's unlikely you will want to use either of them.

Recording equalisation allows the use of a 'flat' phono preamp, which you almost certainly don't have.  Ordinarily, the phono preamp itself does the equalisation required by all vinyl pressings dating from 1954 on.  The one occasion when you might use it is recording 78s or other old material.  The VinylStudio help file goes into this in a bit more detail (perhaps not enough detail).

DSD is a non-editable audio format used primarily for archival purposes.  You need a special phono preamp or A/D converter to use this.  You can safely ignore it.

If you want to learn more about digital audio in general, you might register at Hydrogen Audio (www.hydrogenaudio.org).  Lots of discussions going on there.

LPBuff

Many Thanks Paul for your insight. I suspected Vinyl Studio was well beyond my current ability to fully appreciate. I'll check out the link you gave me. R

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

I wouldn't worry if VinylStudio has some features you don't plan to use.  If you have a record or tape collection you want to digitise it will do the job, and you don't need to be an audio wizzard to use it.

LPBuff

No worries here. Just want to learn more. Thanks again.