News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

VinylStudio Crashes During Recording

Started by Burk_5, January 06, 2014, 02:24:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burk_5

I have a problem with VinylStudio crashing during recording.  It is similar to the problem posted by Simson_80 on Dec 14, 2013, but the recommended solution is not possible due to the version of Windows.  I have a Toshiba Tecra laptop with Windows XP Professional.  It has a Pentium 1.6 GHz processor and 2.0 GB of RAM.  I have a turntable connected to the laptop via a NAD PP4 digital phono/USB preamp.  I have 11.5 GB free space on the C: drive and am saving files to an external hard drive with 105 GB of free space.  VS worked flawlessly for several weeks (20+ albums recorded).  I've recorded everything in FLAC format, but also tried WAV after the problem began.  I am not sure of any changes that may have taken place, especially as I'm not using the laptop for anything else other than this recording process.  VS crashes (locks up) during the recording process after finishing of recording a side.  Everything will appear normal, including level bars and sound monitoring, until the recording has paused.  It then becomes non-responsive when trying to record the next side ("waiting for needle down" message).  If I then select "stop", it is still non-responsive.  VS must then be closed using Task Manager.  I have noticed in Task Manager that two instances of VS show up once it has crashed (Task Manager only shows one instance up until this point).  I have rebooted countless times now over the past few weeks.  I've also removed and then re-installed the VS program.  Still crashing and cannot do any recording.  Other than using FLAC format, I believe everything is in default settings.  I cannot deselect "Use WASAPI for recording" as was suggested to Simson_80 since VS with Windows XP does not have this check box.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

Can you try a different USB cable and / or port please?  This may fix the problem.  Also, please try unchecking 'Record all sides as one file'.

If you're still stuck, please try VinylStudio V8.5.4:

http://www.alpinesoft.co.ukVinylStudio/backups/V8_5_4/VSInstall.exe

Finally, if that doesn't clear the problem, please run the folowing file while VinylStudio is hung and send me the file it generates:

http://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/VinylStudio/vsdump.exe

In fact, if you could do that first, it would help me get to the bottom of this.  You can email the file to:

p DOT sanders AT alpinesoft DOT co DOT uk

Thanks.