News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Sine wave in home tape

Started by Boreal, December 01, 2013, 05:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boreal

Hi. Attached is an old home tape recording on a cheap recorder with cheap mikes. If one looks at the wavefile they will notice a sine wave, especially in the left (lower) channel. Can anyone tell me where that comes from? Is there a way to avoid it. Is it a type of rumble from the recorder capstan? Just wondering if anyone knows the source. Thanks.

Also, is there a way to copy a "Print Screen" image directly into a post? I couldn't figure out how to do it.

Boreal

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

I'm not sure what it is but I imagine it's on the tape so getting rid of it will be tricky.  It's not rumble, the frequency's too high, and tapes don't suffer from that anyway.  Try the hiss filter, see what effect that has, although the result might sound a bit artificial with that level of background noise.

There isn't a way to insert an image directly into a post, no.  You have to upload it as an attachment (as you did).  It's a limitation of the forum software we use, sorry.

Boreal

Oh, I don't need to get rid of it, as it's a crappy recording. I was just wondering what it may be. I was using two microphones fairly close to one another recording an acoustic guitar and voice. Since I wasn't using a monitor, I don't see that it could be feedback, unless it was internal in the system. Maybe the mics were picking up the sound of the tape deck motors.

I didn't mean to take up your time. I thought maybe someone would recognize it and satisfy my curiosity.