News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

merging collections

Started by Phil Dean, December 12, 2008, 08:06:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil Dean

Is it possible to merge Collections ?  I use a laptop to record from vinyl as it means I don't have to disconnect and move my turntable.  However I then transfer the files to the desktop PC in my study for editing and that's where my music library is held.  So it would be useful to take the latest recordings/collection from the laptop and merge them into a single collection on the desktop.  I can't just copy the files into a single collection as the .mcf file is a database of the entire collection and so would need to be edited.  The only alternative I can see is to just create a separate collection for each recording session.
Thx
Phil

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

VinylStudio cannot do this currently, but you are not the first person to ask and it is on our to do list.  In the meantime, there is a simple way to achieve what you want.  Make your recordings in a 'throw away' collection on the laptop, then create the albums again on the desktop and import the recordings made on the laptop (I assume the machines are networked together).  When you import a recording, use the 'Copy file to VinylStudio's recordings folder' option and this will copy the file across automatically.  You can then delete the album on the laptop to save disk space.  This all takes longer to describe than it actually takes to do and there is no need to create a new collection on the laptop for each album you record.

The next version of VinylStudio will make this task a little easier by offering to record all sides of an album as a single file.  You will have to import each side separately, currently.

Hope this helps.  Another of our users is doing something similar and it works for him.

Phil Dean

Hi Paul - I've just tried this and it seems to work with no problems.  Many thanks !!
Phil

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

My pleasure. Thanks for letting me know.