News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

filtering hiss from recorded vinyl

Started by decibelle, June 30, 2013, 07:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

decibelle

I've been using the hiss filterFor my vinyl recordings in the following way:

1. I do a scan to clean up clicks.

2. I select a small segment at the very beginning or end where there is no actual music and I apply another click scan at Turbo setting, with no percussion or brass protection, so I can get just a flat featureless baseline.

3. I then use that selection to create a hiss filter.

What I want to know is, is that the most effective way to remove hiss on a vinyl recording? It seems to be helpful, but I am doing the work at my computer and I don't have the benefit of excellent speakers to scrutinize the result.

Thanks,
Ellen

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

You're doing the right thing.  Just make sure you select a Noise Sample that contains actual noise (not when the needle is up, for example).  The extra scan is probably worthwhile, in some cases at least, since clicks in the Noise Sample do upset the hiss filter.  I hadn't thought of doing that.

PS: To better assess the quality of your results when working on your computer, a pair of decent quality headphones plugged into the output of your sound card works wonders.  Just a thought.