News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Improvement to needle up time

Started by Rob-C, June 25, 2013, 05:23:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob-C

I find this is detected on a lot of records on the lead-out, but the click caused by the needle passing the lead-out groove causes ihe timer to reset (default value).

I was wondering if the end of a side could be detected in a better way. Although the end grove is usually a fixed diameter , for autostop / auto-changers, this is not relevant as the tracking time should be fairly constant. In fact, it is exactly one revolution at 33, 45, or 78 rpm. For a given record, the click should be a consistent waveform, repeated on every revolution.

Is it possible in the code, in real time, on detecting a gap to compare up to 1.8 seconds with the first 1.8 seconds of the last gap? If a match is foud and repeated, the end of side could be detected automatically and the file saved without the click at the end of the lead-out.

Hope it is clear what I am trying to explain. If practical, I hope it can be added to the future list.

Thanks, Rob
Rotel RP-830, Orto 2M Blue & 78 Stylus, Pro-Ject Phono Box USB V (with gain knob), Mac Mini, VS 8.5.3, AIFF at 48/16
Denon AVR-4520, Mission e83 elegante, FLAC / ALAC
Wishlist: Pro-Ject 33/45/78 turntable, ADL Esprit & some nice valve stuff!!!
Loricraft PCM4 RCM and 2,500+ records (The Challenge)

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

I don't think this would work.  The algorithm for detecting the end of the album side needs to be foolproof - even now, simple as it is, we get the occasional premature detection and people really hate it when that happens.  This feature is intended for use with turntables that lift the arm (or stop the platter) at the end of the album side.

Rob-C

Fair comment. I am using a manual turntable.
Rotel RP-830, Orto 2M Blue & 78 Stylus, Pro-Ject Phono Box USB V (with gain knob), Mac Mini, VS 8.5.3, AIFF at 48/16
Denon AVR-4520, Mission e83 elegante, FLAC / ALAC
Wishlist: Pro-Ject 33/45/78 turntable, ADL Esprit & some nice valve stuff!!!
Loricraft PCM4 RCM and 2,500+ records (The Challenge)