News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

recording stops

Started by Guido Kuppens, January 23, 2013, 03:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guido Kuppens

Sorry! I looked it over once again and noticed that in my ASIO control panel USB Audio CODEC is highlighted, but thatll  the status is still idle. In fact, Realtek is still active. But I can't find a way to change that (= to move the little triangle from Realtek to Audio CODEC). I clicked as a fool, but nothing changed. How..?
(Thank you for your patience)

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

Try clicking the 'Retry' button in VinylStudio's Check Level dialog.  If that doesn't work, can you send me a screenshot of the ASIO Control Panel please?  Please do this with VinylStudio's Check Level dialog open.

To take a screenshot:

1.  Click on the window you want to capture

2.  Press ALT + Print Screen

3.  Open the Windows Paint application (you will find it under Start Menu - All Programs - Accessories - Paint)

4.  Select 'Paste' from the Edit menu

5.  Save the file as a GIF (so that it is small enough to email)

6.  Email it to me as an attachment at p DOT sanders AT alpinesoft DOT co DOT uk.  Thanks.

Guido Kuppens

Yes! The retry button helped. I'm recording again and will let you know if I'm succesful. I noticed that with ASIO I can't adjust myself the recording level but that it's automatic?

Excellent, best of luck, please let us know how it goes.

The recording level is fixed on the PP-3 (and all other devices using USB Audio CODEC).  The slider just adjusts digital gain, which is a Bad Thing*, so we have (and recommend the use of) the 'Set Digital Gain to 1' button in the Check Level dialog with these devices.

To put it another way, you're not missing anything.  NAD have calibrated the PP-3 for the most popular cartridges so you should be OK.

-------------

*Because it either masks clipping in the analog to digital converter or increases the likelihood of clipping the digitised signal, depending on whether you set it below or above 1.  What you want is a direct signal path and setting the digital gain to 1 (which is the only option with ASIO) achieves this.  If the recording is too quiet, use the 'Normalise' button in VinylStudio's Graphic Equaliser dialog after recording.

Guido Kuppens

Since my last post I recorded about 8 of 9 albums. Every now and then the program still stops the recording, but most of the time I am able now to record several albums in a row without problem. It still is not perfect, but I can live with it. Thank you for your help and your quick answers to my questions.
Guido Kuppens

OK, thank you.  Another customer reports that things are better if he disconnects anything connected to the line-out sockets of the PP-3 so if you have anything connected to these I would try removing it.

We will continue to pursue this with Microsoft via Technet.  No response so far.