News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Recording Levels Seem Low

Started by dadepfan, December 14, 2012, 11:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dadepfan

Hi All!

I have an Audio-Technica ATP-LP120 USB turntable, using the USB output from the turntable, and the switch on the back is set to 'Line'.  I've already digitized several old albums, and VinylStudio works great.  I've noticed that, during the recording level check, and during the recording, the sound bars never actually reach even a third of the the way up the scales.  I have the sliding bar all the way to the top (says 100 at the bottom), and all my PC sound adjustments are up to max as well.  Is this normal?  Seems to be OK except I have to turn my speakers up to really hear well (checking for hissing and clicking).

Using the same equipment with the same settings, Audacity seems to show a higher level, as if the two programs were scaled differently.

Thanks,
Dave

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

VinylStudio reports whatever is coming in through the sound card (or USB port).  Audacity may be boosting the signal level in software (i.e. after it has been digitised).  You can boost the playback level in VinylStudio's Graphic Equaliser window, which you reach via the 'Adjust Filter Settings' button in the toolbar beneath the waveform display in the Cleanup Audio window.  You probably want to use the Normalise button.  This will give you a standard playback volume, regeardless of the recording level (although you are losing some dynamic range because this is lower than would be optimal).

I don't think there's anything you can do to boost the recording level.  You might like to ask Audio Technica to comment since the problem seems to lie with their equipment.

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Update (albeit a bit late!): I see that your turntable also has line-level outputs.  You could try plugging these in the line-in on your sound card, if it has such a socket.  That would give you more control over the recording level.

Apologies for the 3 year delay in providing this information...

whitebomber

I also have an Audio-Technica ATP-LP120.  I had initially tried the USB connection and found the output levels to be very low.  I switched to the line-level outputs connecting them to my receiver, then use the output from there without issue.