News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Varying taperecording levels

Started by BenB, April 05, 2012, 10:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenB

I am recording some tapecasettes wich show variations in the original recording levels. I have re-used VinylStudio on some cases and changed the recording level accordingly.
This is timeconsuming. I know about normalising the sound, but this corrects the relative level for whole album, so the low volume tracks stay low accordingly.
I know about the Tag ReplayGain but I am not sure this will help for tracks played via my Sonos system.
Is there a more efficient operation other than rerecord and adjust the level for every track ?
Or can I rerecord the low level tracks selectively and replace the wrong tracks and how would I go about ?

regards
Ben

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

You can normalise individual tracks within VinylStudio although the process is a little tedious.  Start by normalising the whole album, then for each track which has a low level:

1.  Open the Filter Settings dialog.

2.  Click on the Graphic Equaliser tab.

3.  Expand 'advanced options' if necessary.

4.  Click 'Add filter' and select the desired track from the list that pops up.

5.  Click 'Normalise'.

6.  Repeat steps 4 and 5 for each track that needs boosting.

I think VinylStudio would benefit from automating this process.  We'll put it on the list.

BenB

Thanks Paul for the prompt reply with detailed guidance.
Your instruction probably also answers another issue which was not clear for me:
If I clean up the audio I can set filters for the taperecording, I wondered when they become effective:
when I save the tracks or should I play the recording as there is a button for this in the filter setting window,
or should I select the/all tracks as your answer above suggests.

regards
Ben

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

Settings made in the Filter Settings window (including selecting a preset) take effect immediately, no need to click Play (although most people like to hear what they sound like).  Then save your tracks.

If you want to normalise individual tracks, you will have to follow the suggested procedure for each album that needs such processing.