News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Recording too fast?

Started by proben, March 08, 2012, 12:16:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

proben

I recorded a record for the first time on VinylStudio.  96/24, ALAC, Speed Conversion was unchecked.  The resulting file is about half the time it should be, and playback is twice as fast.  I can playback at halfspeed so it sounds normal in the application, but all the song split points are off and if I play the m4a file in iTunes it sounds twice the speed (and pitch).  What am I doing wrong?  I assume this isn't normal behavior.

Possibility - I recorded both sides of the record in one take; did not stop and restart the recording when I changed sides of the record.  Did that mess something up??

proben

Well, I just confirmed this; recorded the same album again but this time in two takes - side A and side B, everything looked fine while recording, each side is roughly 20 min long as a recording; then when I switch to "Split Tracks" and import the song listing, both files are shortened to half size (roughly ten min each) and sped up accordingly.  What the hell?  This can't be normal behavior but I don't see anything I'm doing that should cause this.  Please help!

proben

More testing has confirmed it happens in any format under 24/96 recording; recording under 24/48 everything seems fine.  Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?  Switching to 24/48 now.

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

We're not aware of any problems in this area.  I take it Speed Conversion is not enabled.

What audio hardware do you have please?

proben

I'm on a Mac Pro and the input is the digital optical coming from the digital optical out of a Harman Kardan AVR 125; the DAC is supposed to be capable of 192/24 but do you think that might be where the problem is?  The files record as normal and show the right time while recording, but as soon as the recording is stopped, they are suddenly half as long, so whatever is going wrong happens when I push stop.

Your audio hardware seems to be lying about the samplerate.  Or, rather, not respecting the request VinylStudio is making to switch to 96 kHz.  Can you try recording in another program to see if you get the same effect?  You can get Audacity as a free download for example (just google Audacity OS X).

Also, can you monitor the recording successfully while recording is in progress?  If so, are you playing back through the HK or through the Mac's internal speakers?  Thanks.

proben

Quote from: Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft) on March 08, 2012, 12:09:19 PM
Your audio hardware seems to be lying about the samplerate.  Or, rather, not respecting the request VinylStudio is making to switch to 96 kHz.  Can you try recording in another program to see if you get the same effect?  You can get Audacity as a free download for example (just google Audacity OS X).

Also, can you monitor the recording successfully while recording is in progress?  If so, are you playing back through the HK or through the Mac's internal speakers?  Thanks.

Monitoring works fine in either place, though obviously there's latency playing through the Mac.  I'll try another program and see what happens.  The HK has been around since 2001 or 2002 so you're right it may not understand what the software is telling it (though strange it has no problem switching to 48kHz).  I will try it at 192 also and see what happens.

OK, thanks, please keep me posted.

Could you also please check that the reported sample rate for the recorded files matches what you specified when you recorded them.  It should do.

proben

Sorry to revive this dead-ish thread.  Now I'm having another weird problem using the same soundcard in the HK receiver.  I'm trying to record at 44.1/16 through optical input which should be supported (and I've had no problems recording from this equipment before as long as I stick to that sample rate).  But when I "Monitor Recording" through the Mac I'm getting the music sounding really slowed down, with weird glitchy artifacts cutting in and out as it catches up.  This used to work fine (and it works fine with another soundcard).  I tried monitoring the soundcard in another program (SoundStudio) and it sounds perfectly fine.  Everything - VinylStudio, SoundStudio, and Audio Midi Setup in the MacOS - has the soundcard settings at 44.1/16.  Any clues what I might be doing wrong?

Hi,

Could you send me a short sound sample please?  Please save the file in MP3 (or OGG) format to keep the size down and send it to:

p DOT sanders AT alpinesoft DOT co DOT uk

Thanks.

Also, could you please send me the log file that VinylStudio creates in Console.app.  Thanks.