News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Suggested sampling rate

Started by jasustar, January 15, 2012, 08:44:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jasustar

I just switched to VinylStudio after using Audacity for quite a while. When using Audacity, I always sampled ay 96 kHz with a 32-bit float, and saved as AIFF. The results were spectacular. I switched to VinylStudio because of Scot hacker's glowing recommendation on his blog The Compleat Guide to Digitizing Your LP Collection . Since getting VinylStudio two days ago, I've been frequenting this forum and it seems the over whelming opinion is that 96 kHz with a 32-bit float is over kill for digitizing vinyl LPs. Could someone explain why this opinion is so prevalent? Or, could you point me to a post that discusses it? I've searched this forum quite a bit and haven't found an answer.

By the way, my recording set up is as follows:
  Turntable:       Denon DP-300F
  Cartridge:       Shure M97xE
  Software:       VinylStudio v8.2.2
  Computer:   Mac mini
  Model Identifier:   Macmini3,1
  Processor Name:   Intel Core 2 Duo
  Processor Speed:   2 GHz
  Number of Processors:   1
  Total Number of Cores:   2
  L2 Cache:   3 MB
  Memory:   4 GB
  Bus Speed:   1.07 GHz
  Boot ROM Version:   MM31.0081.B06
  SMC Version (system):   1.35f0
John Schuster
jasustar@yahoo.com

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

I would ask this question over at Hydrogen Audio.  Lots of opinions there :), but most audio hardware is limited to (at most) 24 bits so nothing is gained in going beyond that.

VinylStudio works internally with 32 bit floats, regardless of the bit depth you record at.  This provides some extra 'headroom' for the processing algorithms that we use.  These are converted back when tracks are saved, as the last step in the process.

Use the 'Sample rates' button in VinylStudio's Check Level dialog to see what sample rates and bit depths your Mac supports.  96/24 is common nowadays.

jasustar

Thank yo for your quick responses. 96/24 sounds like a good compromise.
John Schuster
jasustar@yahoo.com