News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

New user - pre-amp bought - severe distortion

Started by nawnaw, November 05, 2011, 12:25:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nawnaw

I'm not sure whether this is the right area to post - apologies if not, please redirect me.  My query is not about the software per se, that seems very straightforward and I launched straight into a sound/levels test.  It seemed very intuitive.

I have a very simple Pioneer turntable and I recently purchased a pre-amp from Maplins (SP-24A).  When I listen to the output (through my PC via VinylStudio, through my Mac via VinylStudio or Audacity) the recording is severly distorted, and turning the input/gain right down doesn't have any effect (or than quieter distortion!).  If I stop playing a record, I can still hear a significant buzzing.

I've read in various groups that this may be due to an earthing issue, and that I should connect the turntable earth to the pre-amp - my problem is, neither the turntable nor the pre-amp have any signs of an earth terminal, in fact the pre-amp says 'no earth required'.

Am I doing some basic wrong?  Or am I an unfortunate amateur who has just not got the right gear to do the job?  I do want to digitize my LP collection, but my first priority was to get an LP onto CD for a group of retired gents who perform as a Barber Shop Quartet - they wanted to use the LP to rehearse to, or as occasional backing music.  I feel I'm going to let them down.....

Any kind soul out there give me any advice?

Many thanks,
Neil

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

This is a bit of a longshot, but does the Pioneer already contain a phono preamp?  As an experiment, try running the turntable directly into your PC.

Also, could you record around 30 seconds of music (to MP3 format to keep the file size down - you can set this via the Recording Options button) and email it to me so that I can hear it for myself.  Please send it to:

p DOT sanders AT alpinesoft DOT co DOT uk

Please include a bit of silence so I can hear the buzzing.

Thanks.

nawnaw

Paul,

Thanks for the quick reply.  You know, I wonder if I'm about to be embarrassed..... *blush*.  You may not have had such a long shot...

I've just looked up the turntable on the Pioneer web site and it isn't quite clear to be - what it says is "Phono EQ included".  Is that the same as a pre-amp....?  I think I'm about to be red-face..... :)

Neil

nawnaw

I don't have the correct cable to connect it to try, but I'll get one.....

nawnaw

Yes, the turntable has a pre-amp built-in.  I feel a bit daft now, but at least I have it working.  Thank you for your common sense Paul.... Looking forward to working with the software now.

Neil