News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Best Operating System to Use for Vinyl Conversion?

Started by bluesman, September 21, 2011, 10:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluesman

Having read through the Forum I am not clear which Windows operating system will be optimal for Vinyl Studio as I have laptops with all of these.  I will drive an external USB converter from the Tape Out of my amplifier an am confused about level control/clipping.  Am I better off using XP or W7 . . or Vista?

Also does the SW run in Linux under Wine?  If so, how is this likely to compare?

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

It's really a free choice - VinylStudio runs equally well on all of these.  Many USB devices offer no control over the recording level, irrespective of operating system.  If this applies to you, VinylStudio will make this clear by disabling the recording level slider on XP and offering a 'Set Digital Gain to 1' button (strongly recommended) on Vista and Windows 7.

VinylStudio does not run under Wine.  A couple of people have had success running it in a VM under Windows XP, but getting the CD burner working can be tricky.

bluesman

Paul thank you for the speedy response.

The USB converter that I am currently testing in the set-up does have SW volume control - should I be using this SW volume?

I also have an alternate device (American Audio Audio Genie Pro) which has a physical Volume control and if I remember a SW control. I probably will not use this as hum on the phono input seems louder but would welcome your suggestions for both of these?

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Yes, use the SW volume control if it has one.  It's unusual to have both but if you do you'd have to experiment to see how to get the lowest background noise without distortion.  See manual :)