News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Some tapes after exporting to iTunes are inaudible

Started by TimArends, September 20, 2023, 02:00:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimArends

I just updated to VinylStudio 13.1.4. It was purchased directly, not on the Mac store.

I have been digitizing a large number of audio cassettes. Recently, I have been starting to have a problem with some of the digitizations after they are imported into iTunes. Some tapes after exporting to iTunes sound fine but others are extremely faint with a slight electronic buzz or hum. In VinylStudio itself they sound fine.

How I have tried to resolve this:
Updating VinylStudio, re-exporting the audio files,

MacOS High Sierra
iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011)

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

Hmmm, strange.

Could you try playing the saved tracks with something like VLC please?  It would be interesting to know if that works.  Could you also ensure that 'Save corrections' is checked when saving your tracks.

Also, some questions for you:
  • What file format are you saving your tracks in please? (AAC?)
  • When playing your recordings in VinylStudio, is there any difference between playing corrected and uncorrected audio?  (There's a button to toggle that in the toolbar beneath the waveform display.

Thx.

TimArends

Thanks,

I have been exporting to AAC. My first troubleshooting step is to try MP3. I used the following settings:

Save corrected audio Always say tracks, even if saved before
Update status of saved albums on completion
Perform fast MP3 to MP3 copies where possible
Add saved tracks to iTunes library
Delete duplicate tracks from iTunes library
Include custom tags

I have tested it after export to iTunes and again, some of the files are playing OK and others are extremely faint.

I just noticed this issue, say, within the past couple of months, but I will have to go back to my past exports and see if any of my other recordings are affected and I didn't notice it. Perhaps this is due due to a recent update?

So to try playing the saved tracks with something like VLC, am I correct in saying that I would download Video Lan client, then in iTunes, right click on track name, choose Show in Finder, then drag file to vlc?

Thanks for the update.  It's all rather strange.

As the next thing to try, could save the tracks for one of the affected albums with 'save corrected audio' unchecked please?  We can go from there.

We're not aware of any bugs in this area.  Thx.

TimArends

Hi,

I tried re-saving a couple of the tapes with with 'save corrected audio' unchecked and the same problem exists in iTunes.

OK.  Weird.  Presumably it plays OK inside VinylStudio itself.

So, could you now try playing that file in VLC (and maybe a few others) please?  The method you described above should work, yes.  If not, please let me know and I'll find a way.

TimArends

OK, I downloaded Video Lan Client, Then in iTunes, I right clicked on the track name, chose Show in Finder, and then dragged the file to VLC. Even after cranking my Mac's volume all the way up and VLC's volume all the way up, I can still barely hear the problem files.

OK, thanks.  When you play audio from the Cleanup Audio tab in VinylStudio, does it sound OK?  Make sure you're listening to the correct album side (there might be two).

Please note also that there is a button in the toolbar there to toggle whether you're listening to corrected or uncorrected audio (Σ).  Could you please try both.

Eventually, we will find the 'broken link', thank you for your patience.

TimArends

Yeah, it sounds fine in the Cleanup Audio tab, both with the corrected and uncorrected audio (Σ) button toggled on or off.

Hmmm, strange.  So can you now try saving an album with 'Save corrected audio' unchecked please?  It might also be interesting to see what results you get saving to(say) MP3.  Thx.

TimArends

Hi, I saved a couple of albums with 'Save corrected audio' unchecked (as AAC) and the newly saved tracks sounded good!

Ah-ha!  Progress at last.

Please check the setting of the preamp sliders in both the 'Filter Settings' and 'Equalisation Curves' windows for one of the albums affected.  They may well be set too low for some reason.  Clicking 'Normalise' is one way to fix that.

What currently baffles me is that you should also hear the effect in VinylStudio itself.  I don't have an explanation for that.

TimArends

Are you talking about Cleanup Audio > Adjust Filter Settings and Specify Equalisation Curves? I don't see a Normalise option in those windows. I never mess with that advanced stuff when recording tapes or vinyl.

Hi,

Tell you what, let's arrange a remote control session so I can see for myself.  We're just spinning our wheels here.

If you're OK with this then please email me your time zone and phone number and we'll work out a mutually convenient time to do it.  You can contact us here:

https://www.alpinesoft.co.ukVinylStudio/contact_us.aspx

Thx.