News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Recording an Album containing Multiple Artists & Assorted Tracks

Started by Dennis_M, March 15, 2023, 11:26:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis_M

I, like I suspect others, have a few albums which contain an array of artists and "classic hits."  One is name "Nuggets", Volume 1: "The Hits".

As suspected, DISCOGS cannot find this album.

I could manually find and enter tracks, (if need be).

What is the recommended procedure for recording such albums?

I suspect others have encountered this dilemma, so I am interested in knowing (Options & Recommended Procedure), etc.

Very Nice Product.

Thanks,

~ Dennis M. 3/15/2023

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

Sounds like you're out of luck (I also tried Music Brainz), so you're going to have to enter the track titles by hand.

If you have track durations you can enter those too, which will put the track breaks in roughly the right place.  If you grab a copy of the latest Beta, the 'Scan For Track Breaks' now has an 'Adjust' option which should then trim them up (although it's always worth a final manual check).

The Beta is here:

https://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2567.0

HTH

Dennis_M

Thank You for your rapid response.

I suspected that I may have to do some manual work on this, so I am not surprised.

I will record these Albums last, (am, approximately 2/3 through my collection of albums + have some 45's which I will attempt to clean up, (water + white vinegar), then record via Vinyl Studio.

Am, ultimately, creating a separate Music Folder and making folders within, (by Artists), so manual work is expected.

Thanks again for your rapid response.

As mentioned, it is a very nice Product.

Anything you can do in the future to facilitate the creation of playlists in the would probably be welcomed.

(Not a "showstopper", however, as there appear to be other options.)

Right now I am thinking of creating a separate Master Music Folder, (as alluded to), and may access via "Media Monkey" based on research I have done thus far.

Current Objective is to record all the vinyl to create the Music Folder, subdivided by artist.

Thanks again for the fine product, good tutorials, and rapid response.

~ Dennis M, 3/16/2023

> Am, ultimately, creating a separate Music Folder and making folders within, (by Artists), so manual work is expected.

> Current Objective is to record all the vinyl to create the Music Folder, subdivided by artist.

If you're talking about how you want your saved tracks organised, VinylStudio can automate all that.

The default is to group all tracks for an album into a single album folder, and to group all album folders for the same artist into a single artist folder.  The VinylStudio help file discusses this in more detail in the 'Where are My Files Located' topic under 'Importing and Exporting Files'.

If you don't like the default, there are a myriad of options in the Settings / Preferences dialog, but it sounds like the default will work for you.

Dennis_M

Thanks for the reply.

I concur, Vinyl Studio has many useful options on the hierarchy of organizing and saving tracks, etc.

To clarify, I was specifically referring to when I record the Albums of "classic hits", etc, (which may be composed of several artists).

In that case, I will use the "Copy to Play Option", (which you pointed out to me), and copy and paste the assorted tracks into folders of the respective artist.

You have designed and constructed many fine features in Vinyl Studio.

Thanks again,

~ Dennis M.  3/16/2023

OK.  VinylStudio can probably automate that too, but if you're happy with that then that's fine.

haeggvinyl

Hello!
Most albums does exist in Discogs.
Please try this link: Various – Nuggets Volume One: The Hits.
This is the link to the master release.
Choose your appropriate version and get the release number, for instance [r1256004] and you get the right album info. Though not all versions have the track time noted. Then try another version to see if the track time is available.
You'll almost always get the artist and track title, so that you don't have to type it in yourself.

Dennis_M

Haeggvinyl, (pseudonym):

Thank your for providing this response and the link you provided.

I shall look for the nuggets album, and others.

I also have a couple of albums from the 1969 Woodstock concert, (and others - Windham Hill Artists, etc.)

Thanks again for your response and the link provided.