News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Strange Behavior

Started by dlmckain, June 13, 2023, 03:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlmckain

Everything was working fine with my bastardized audio setup but something strange is happening with the latest version (upgraded as instructed during last startup).

When I check levels I can't hear any output and am getting "clicks" when I try to change settings. Believe that VinylStudio is selecting/deselecting output but, even with that, no audio when I try to monitor.

Didn't change anything in my cabling and works when I play from "Split Tracks" or "Cleanup Audio" windows.

Any troubleshooting ideas?

I have a strange setup where audio input is:

Phono/Tape -> RCA switch -> Receiver Aux Input -> Receiver Tape 2 Rec In -> Behringer UMC204HD Input -> Computer

and audio output is:

Computer -> Behringer UMC204HD output -> Receiver Tape 1 Rec Out

This way I can use the tape monitor switch to listen to computer audio on my receiver speakers (with tape monitor "on") or direct from turntable/tape (monitor "off").

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

You probably just need to change the new 'Host' setting in VinylStudio's Check Level dialog.  In a spirit of sharing information, please let us know which ones work.  Prefer 'WASAPI exclusive', if possible, as this gives VinylStudio control over the sample rate the device is using.

dlmckain

I've given it a try with various levels of success.

Playback is a bit choppy and the recording bars don't look right either.

Given my options what should I use for Input and Output?
WASAPI Exclusive (polled)
WASAPI Exclusive (event driven)
WASAPI Shared (polled)
WASAPI Shared (event driven)

So many options. My wife made sushi last night and I wish I knew this was there.

All has worked pretty flawlessly for years until this but, progress eh?

Hi,

You should get the playback settings right first.  If playback isn't working properly then you can't tell whether recording is working.

So, visit the Change Playback Device dialog and select (probably) MME / wave in the host dropdown.  Then play an existing, known good recording to check that all is well.

Then have another go at getting recording working (by monitoring the incoming audio in the Check Level dialog).

Sorry about all this btw, but Windows' audio support is a mess.  Thanks for hanging on in there, we'll get there.

dlmckain

So, I got it to work for one side of a cassette recording but it locked up after about 20 mins (input locked up, kept on recording silence) on the second side.

WASAPI Exclusive (polled, recommended) for recording
WASAPI Exclusive (polled) for playback

MME/wave gave me no sound for playback.

Starting to get a bit of a grip on WASAPI and the terminology but argh ...

So, the help file says "'WASAPI exclusive (event driven)" is preferred but the actual item in the drop-down box has polled as the recommended selection. I can't figure out the difference between exclusive and polled. Ideally, VS would just take exclusive control of audio input/output and not share it with anyone but not sure if Windows will let it. Would be really nice to ONLY let VS control the audio device and let other sounds go to the built in sound card but not sure if that is even possible.

I'm going to try and ASIO for recording/monitoring and see if it is glitchy. The external USB sound "box" supports it. Maybe it will work better.

Wondering what exclusivity ASIO has. Ha! Went to windows audio settings and it lost the external USB sound box but my recording bars/monitoring seem to be chugging along just fine.

Maybe this is the solution?

Hi,

ASIO is often the best bet, yes.  I'd give it a go (both for recording and playback).  It takes exclusive control of the device and can set the sample rate and bit depth that the hardware is using to what you select in VinylStudio (or to the nearest supported rate and depth).