Author Topic: 'Free' MP3 WMA WAV Convertor  (Read 1410 times)

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

• Administrator
  • Staff
    • AlpineSoft Main Website
'Free' MP3 WMA WAV Convertor
« on: October 07, 2008, 11:21:19 am »
There's a program floating around on the 'net called Free MP3 WMA WAV Convertor from a company called nbxsoft.  At first sight, this does exactly what it says on the tin - convert between different audio file formats  - and we have been recommending it to our users as a quick and easy way of getting this particular job done.

But no more.  There's a twist.  After you have been using it for a month or so, a box pops up asking you to register.  Fair enough, you say, so off you trot to their website, type in (perhaps with a slight feeling of foreboding) your email address and click OK.  What happens next really got my goat.  A screen of options appears listing the various products they sell with a 'buy' and a 'register (free)' button for each.  But when you click on the register button, nothing happens.  On more careful inspection, you will see a message in tiny print saying something along the lines of 'free registration has been suspended due to heavy web traffic'.  This is pure baloney of course, they are just after your money.  They have let you get used to their 'free' software and are then trying to persuade you to pay for it by underhand means.  I think what they are doing is appalling, frankly and I have deleted their software from my machine.

So, avoid nbxsoft's 'free' software.  It is little more than a scam.