News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Improper setup of Vinyl Studio and USB turntable

Started by n10ac2, September 26, 2020, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

n10ac2

Recently, I  downloaaded VinylStudio Pro. I am using an audio-technica turntable AT-LP120-USB. Have tried connecting USB cable from turntable to an ASUS computer. I'm finding that when I check the levels I am only getting the left channel instead of both. I have changed out the USB cable but still is not helping. Any ideas what could be causing this issue?

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

Is this on Windows or Mac please?  If it's on Windows you can try this:

1.  In VinylStudio's Check Level dialog, click on 'Recording Controls'

2.  When the window opens, select your device in the list.

3.  Click Properties.

4.  Click on the Advanced tab.

5.  Select '2 channel, 16 bit, 44100 Hz' from the dropdown list.

6.  Click OK.

Then check to see if things are working correctly.

n10ac2

Hi Paul,
Thanks for getting back to me. I have done as you suggested and both channels seem to be working but the right channel is approximately 25% to the left channel is 75%. I was thinking that it would have been more equal as I play the recording on my Ipod in my vehicle.  I realize channel separation but I didnt think it would be this different. Overall, I am enjoying the VinylStudio Pro and I have approximately 200 albums and over 2000 45's so I want to ensure I am doing this correctly.

Hi,

Yes, that's not normal.  I'd speak to the people you got the turntable from, maybe there's something wrong with (in particular) the cartridge.  It's not a software issue, although VinylStudio can correct the imbalance after recording in the Graphic Equaliser window.  You can reach this via the 'Adjust filter settings' button in the toolbar beneath the waveform display in the Cleanup Audio window.

n10ac2

Paul,

Thanks for your response. I decided to shut down my computer (Asus) with Windows 10 and disconnected the usb cable from the computer. Booted back up and both channels are working correctly again. I will continue to monitor it to see what other changes are happening. I realize it is late over in England but in the US it is still 5:15pm. Thanks for your assistance.

Weird, that's a new one on me.  Thanks for the update.