News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Thanks and Feature Requests

Started by bkuris, January 03, 2011, 01:58:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bkuris

Great work on this software, I was literally waiting years for a PC solution for high-quality vinyl transcription and you nailed it. 

I'm about 20 albums in now recording @24bit using a Musical Fidelity V-LPS going into a Tango24 lightpipe ADC that feeds an M-audio FW1812.  Eventually the tracks end up as ALAC in my itunes library.
The automated cleanup is pretty magical along with the noise reduction.  I also applaud the scroll wheel zoom implementation in the UI.

I would be really happy with some minor new features:
1)  dB display option for waveform.
2)  Very fine Balance control in the interactive-processing tools (perhaps after EQ).
3)  Control over default width of automated click repairs-- I often find myself making the repairs wider to remove audible artifacts on damaged vinyl.  I would love to opt for say +25% or +50% width settings to see if that eliminates manual correction.

The first 2 features both would assist or compensate for cartridge setup.  Despite my best attempts, I find myself dealing with L/R balance problems.  It would be great to have a digital means to indicate or correct differences over time or on specific records without exporting and reimporting wave files to another software package.

Above all, thanks!

-Ben 

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

Thank you for your comments.  A balance control would indeed be useful; we will put it on the list.

Re (1), could you please clarify what you mean.  Do you mean a scale in the waveform display calibrated in dB or something else?

Re (3), automatically widening click repairs is not a good idea as it can do a lot of damage to the music.  We spent a lot of time looking into this.

bkuris

>Re (1), could you please clarify what you mean.  Do you mean a scale in the waveform display calibrated in dB or something else?

Yes, option for waveform display calibrated in dB.

-Ben

OK, thanks.  How would you use this to help with your balance problems?  Would you expect the balance control to be calibrated in dB also?

bkuris

>How would you use this to help with your balance problems? 
It would provide a quantitative measure of a perceived balance issue.  In one case, I was worried about balance issues based on waveform display differences in Vinyl Studio.  I loaded the .wav into audacity and when I switched to dB scale and zoomed in, it showed just under 1dB difference which is probably on the edge of perception and likely better than the volume control knob on my stereo...
Just looking at a linear waveform display tends to magnify the differences.

>Would you expect the balance control to be calibrated in dB also?
It doesn't have to be, but the range of control I would be looking for is certainly less than 5dB so a log. scale may be useful.

Ah, so you want an option for the waveform display to be logarithmic rather than linear.  OK, noted.