News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

ALAC files created with VS cause AyreWave to crash

Started by drystream, December 31, 2010, 06:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drystream

I was interested in trying the iTunes substitute called AyreWave to see if I could hear any improvement in the sound over iTunes.  I kept trying to load songs that I had just created with VinylStudio (in Apple Lossless format), but AyreWave kept crashing as soon as I selected a song.

By chance, I tried loading a file in Apple Lossless format that had been imported into iTunes from a commercial CD, and to my surprise the file loaded without a problem.  Next, I successfully loaded another Apple Lossless file that I had recorded from vinyl on a Tascam CD recorder in AIFF format and then imported/saved into iTunes in ALAC format.

So, it appears that the ALAC files created from within VinylStudio have something out-of-spec that can cause some programs to choke.  I should note that I've also experimented with the program Pure Music, which is also an iTunes substitute, and have not had any problems with my VS files.

It would be interesting to know how an ALAC file created by iTunes differs from ALAC created by VinylStudio.

The files I created in VS were recorded in both AIFF and ALAC formats (44.1 KHz, 16 bit) and saved as ALAC, 44.1 KHz, 16 bit.  The iTunes versions used to import the VS songs date from whatever was current in mid-October, 2010.  Previous versions of iTunes used to import files I recorded with the Tascam date from about December, 2009.

Happy New Year everyone--Steve

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Update: I can confirm there is a problem and we know what it is.  The fix will be in the next release but it's not a priority to get it out I'm afraid.  The problem is a faulty 'pgap' tag generated by VinylStudio.  Toggle that (which you can do in iTunes via Get Info - Options - Part of a Gapless Album) and the files should play OK.  Check also the AyreWave website - they may issue a fix before we do.

Many thanks to Stephen Booth for his help in isolating this problem.

drystream

Thanks for the quick response Paul.  Although 'work-around' is one of my most hated terms in the computer world, this work-around indeed did the trick.  I've changed all 1900 songs that I've generated out of VinylStudio to 'Part of a Gapless Album', and the whole lot loaded into AyreWave without a problem.  I'll start them in shuffle play to see if anything else crops up as a result of this change.

Steve

OK, thanks.  We'll get a fix out as soon as we can.

Update: Fixed in VinylStudio V7.5.8, released 04Jan11

drystream

Hmm...I've got VS set to check for updates automatically, but when I open it nothing happens as far as downloading v7.5.8.

When I go to the Help menu and click 'check for updates' it reports that I've got the latest version, although 'About' tells me that I've got v7.5.7 Mac.

Is it possible that you updated the PC version only and not the Mac version?

Whoops!  Forgot to update the 'version' file on the webserver.  Try it now.

drystream