News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Level slider came back?

Started by agbrown, June 24, 2020, 07:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agbrown

Been using VS since 2012 with occasional H/W changes. My set up for the last 18 months or so has been:  TT -> ART Preamp w/variable gain (RCA) -> Behringer UMC204HD A/I w/variable gain (USB) -> Win10 laptop. The UMC204HD is USB powered.

Yesterday I replaced the laptop, updated windows, opted out of "Secure" mode, updated my UMC204 driver, reinstalled VS and configured the recording controls as best as I could recall.

Any idea if the "Recording controls/sound/record tab/listen tab/listen to this device box" should be checked?

During a test RIP I had some connection issues which I think are resolved, not sure. The "microphone" issue, an occasional "device (UMC204) in use by another application" and total loss of recording at one point.

While trying to get things working I noticed that the Gain slider was back next to the level indicators. The "use WASABI" box doesn't make any difference and I don't get the "-1 digital gain" box. The Gain slider didn't seem to do anything.

So has Windows restored the slider, or the reinstall of VS? The UMC has manual Gain controls so I don't see why the slider is back. Where did the "-1 digital gain" box go? Anything to worry about? "WASABI" or not?

I ran out of time but will try again tonight.

It appears that the slider does affect the level. Appears to function the same whether "WASABI" is selected or not. Currently have slider set to max and using gain controls on the 204HD. Still not seeing the "digital gain" box. I'm a set and forget kind of guy and I'm fairly certain that the slider "wasn't" there before and the "set digital gain" was. Perhaps my memory is bad.

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

> Any idea if the "Recording controls/sound/record tab/listen tab/listen to this device box" should be checked?

Probably not.  That would interfere with VinylStudio's Monitoring function.

> So has Windows restored the slider, or the reinstall of VS?

That must be Windows - we haven't changed anything.

> Where did the "-1 digital gain" box go? Anything to worry about? "WASABI" or not?

You might see it if you check the 'Use WASAPI' box (WASABI is a Japanese condiment :).  I don't know which will work best, you'll have to experiment.

> I'm fairly certain that the slider "wasn't" there before and the "set digital gain" was.

I think you're probably right.  We will do some tests at our end.

agbrown

WASAPI :)

Did 2 more RIPS. First one went fine.

2nd one the level indicators locked on third song. 

1) Tried to look at the split tracks window to see if anything had been recorded. No response from menus.

2) I closed the VS window (X), at this point it may have said something about "writing buffered data to drive", not exactly sure when that occurred. Just looped. File size was 0 in file explorer.

3)When I launched VS it reopened in Record Mode (work with an existing album). Displayed a dialog box saying "unable to open file ... in use by another process".

4) I tried to remove recording from the Album menu. Similar dialog box, "unable to delete file ..."

5) Closed VS and looked in Task Manager. VS still had a process running.

6) Opened VS, a second process showed momentarily then just one. Selected and killed VS process, VS window closed but a VS process was still running.

7) Rebooted laptop and all VS processes were gone. Launched VS, killed process, process died, window closed.

Going out to enjoy some WASABI

> 2nd one the level indicators locked on third song.

Please uncheck the 'Use WASAPI' box.  It has that effect sometimes.

agbrown

Resolved, I think.

Reinstalled my old 204HD driver. Successfully recorded 3 LPs.
Old driver doesn't play well with WASAPI. 
Slider is still present.
WASAPI selection has no effect on slider presence or cause the "digital gain" selection box to appear.

Unfortunately I don't recall if I attempted an entire recording with/without WASAPI selected. i mainly toggled it to see if the Slider went away and for any immediate effects. My bad in retrospect.

Prior to reinstalling the old driver I recorded an album successfully, but got a (not verbatim) "playback device unavailable" error when I went to split the tracks. When I looked at the playback/record tabs the 204HD device had disappeared entirely. It was also missing from Device Manager.

VS is working. Great product. Appreciate your assistance.

OK, thanks for the update.

I retested VinylStudio with "USB Audio CODEC" (the default driver for budget USB devices) on the latest version of Windows 10 and the behaviour was the same as it has always been so I don't know what's going on at your end.