News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

What have I done??? Cleanup quit working

Started by rom661, May 27, 2020, 02:05:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rom661

I'm pretty sure this is user induced.  I'm visually impaired and I blame that for everything, even when the problem is actually fat fingers or diminished brain function.  I just started using the Cleanup function a couple of months ago.  Mainly for classical, which is about half of what I record.  I recorded a new albums, split tracks, when to Cleanup as usual.  All looked normal and I highlighted ( never do all of something, just as needed) a pop during a quiet section.  I sett it to level 2, told it to go and it went through its normal two step process.  However the black vertical mark indicating correction wasn't there and there is no effect on the click.  I know I hit something inadvertently the other night and I may have screwed it up. I can't read the actual words so I have all the locations memorized.  Hopefully it's as easy to fix as it apparently was for me to screw up.  Thanks.

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

VinylStudio doesn't promise to repair every click automatically.  Do you know how to make manual repairs?

rom661

Yes.  But the reason I'm asking is that there was some kind of change.  I don't like to do the whole side manually.  I hear a loss of air and openness. (Largely classical music).  I visually scan and can often see problem areas, particularly during quiet passages where they are obvious visually and audibly.  I highlight those small areas and use the lowest level of sensitivity possible to repair and work up. It's much faster than manual. If that doesn't do it, I do a manual repair or, in the rare cases where that doesn't, cut and splice.  Obvious tics that have been recognized by VS are now not seen, much less rectified.  I don't know what changed.  I feel like I accidentally changed a setting or something but can't figure out what. Thanks

Hi,

There is a setting that plays uncorrected audio.  Perhaps that's what you're hearing.  Quitting and restarting VinylStudio will reset it.  Please try that.

rom661

Thanks, but I tried that.  Not only does it not make an audible difference but the little black hash mark is not appearing.  If I turn the sensitivity way up it does pick up some.  I'm confused by this as on quiet passages Level 1 would pick up most things in the past even if they didn't cure the issue and I had to go further or do a manual clean up.  It literally changed from one day to the next and I had done 25 LP's plus so I had a good feel for how it scans.  And now, I wasn't drinking the night it seems to have changed :-)

Would you like to send me a screenshot of VinylStudio's Cleanup Audio window after scanning.  You can send it to:

p DOT sanders AT alpinesoft DOT co DOT uk

To take a screenshot on Windows:

1.  Click on the window you want to capture.

2.  Press ALT + Print Screen.

3.  In your email program, press Ctrl+V or select Paste from the Edit menu.

To take a screenshot on the Mac, please see here:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201361

I will then take a look and get back to you.

You could also send me a screenshot of the 'Scan for Clicks' dialog before you start the scan.  All the relevant settings are in there.

rom661

OK.  To be clear, I have found that it does scan but only at much higher sensitivity levels than it did.  It doesn't detect moderate clicks that are both clearly visible and audible.  Again this is on classical music so during quiet passages it's easy to see them.  I did reset to the default settings just to insure I hadn't changed something and wasn't spotting it.  The only change I have made, knowingly, to the default settings is that I tend to use automatic scan as a very targeted tool. I can hear it even on the lowest settings if I do a full scan.  So I isolate a small spot where there's an issue, run Level 1 and up until it's taken care of. If that doesn't work I do it manually or in a few extreme cases cut and paste. Usually that's inaudible.  In fairness, I do have a very high resolution system.  I've been a high end dealer for decades and my home system reflects that.  I'll play some more tonight and send the shots to you along with the settings window.

OK, but I can only repeat that we haven't changed anything.  You could try turning off Percussion and / or Brass Protection.

I should also add that click scanning is not an exact science.  You can never expect it to be perfect and sometimes,  to get the best results, some manual repairs are necessary.  At least VinylStudio gives you that option.

rom661

I wasn't implying that you had changed anything.  I was implying that I had inadvertently done so.  However today things seem as they were before.  I highlight short scan areas, run the minimal sensitivity to start and it sees it and attempts to correct. Often Level 1 will do it (My LP's are overall in very good condition and cleaned on an ultrasonic cleaner).  I work from there.  It is now acting just like it was.  I don't know what was going on other than possibly that I had lowered the input sensitivity on my A/D piece to accommodate a couple of recordings with very wide dynamics.  I don't understand how the scan works but perhaps it was low enough that it wasn't detecting the relatively minor ticks and pops.  At any rate it's working as I have experienced and all seems OK.  Very sorry to have waste your time.  If it wasn't the sensitivity thing I guess just one of those mysteries.  But again, my assumption was always that I had done something and the program was following my orders.  Best.

OK, tanks for the update.  Glad it's working.