News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Straight line Waveform

Started by dano-atlga, April 17, 2020, 12:39:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dano-atlga

After using VS for about a week I started getting a straight line waveform on .wav files from my USB.  I am recording vinyl LPs using a Denon sd/usb recorder.  My MacBook uses os El Capitan.   It was working great for several days but now about 1 out of 2 recordings will not generate a waveform even when it will play in iTunes or on my recorder.

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

Can you please check the 'last update date' of the imported files in the Finder.  If they are in the future, VinylStudio will get confused.  Is there a way to set the clock on the Denon?

dano-atlga

I did check that per prior post and it and the files are set for the same date and time as importing.   Today and slightly earlier time. 

OK, can you please try right-clicking (or Ctrl+click) in the waveform display and selecting 'Regenerate Waveform Display'.

We will also look at the file date / time issue from our side.

dano-atlga

It will not let me right click and Regenerate Wave Form is greyed out.  I changed my Denon to yesterday's date thinking the times might be out of sequence and I have not received a straight line wave form since.  Probably jinxing myself.

Hi,

Please try that in the Cleanup Audio window, and make sure you click in the (flat-line) waveform display.

Also, could you email a screenshot of the Cleanup Audio window to:

p DOT sanders AT alpinesoft DOT co DOT uk

Thx.

dano-atlga

Ok, just emailed.  Also tried to attached the WAV file.

OK, I got it, thank you.  The problem is that the WAV file is not valid (it is missing the length information in the header), but some players evidently work around this and we will make VinylStudio do so too in the next version.

In the meantime, please wait a few seconds at the end of the recording before removing the USB stick from the Denon.  It probably needs a bit of time to update the file header at the end of the recording (suggest consulting the manual).

dano-atlga

Good to know.  That is interesting.  Maybe it is a flaw with the Denon.  I do not think I am pulling the usb out that quickly since I am usually recording 3 to 4 lps before removing.  Thanks for the followup

> Maybe it is a flaw with the Denon

Indeed.  It might be interesting to hear what they have to say about this.

dano-atlga

I will ask!  Thanks so much for your help!