News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Trying to delete first two sides on an album.

Started by Steve Crook, August 08, 2020, 03:22:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Crook

I recorded an album a while back, made some changes to my phono pre and record cleaner and re-recorded the same album as extra sides on the first recording to give me an album with four sides. Did it this way to make A/B comparisons easier.

Anyway, having done that and listened, I decided to retain the newer recordings, went into the Remove Recordings dialog, select the first two recordings and deleted them. I was then left with four recordings still shown, but with the first to saying "missing". I couldn't see any way of removing them as they didn't appear in the list of removable recordings when I displayed it again. Tried switching album, collection and restarting VS. Nothing worked. Pulled them out of the wastebasket and back into the collection folder, and everything is hunky dory, with 4 sides.

Exited from VS, went back in, tried again, with the same result.
Trying "Check For Changes..." tells me there have been none.

So I'm not sure if I messed something up or if there's something wrong with the collection.

LMK if you need more tests or uploads of collection files.

Steve Crook

Ok, having prodded around some more, I did the following:

Switch to a different collection.
Rename the side 3&4 files to be Side 1&2 files
Switch back to the original collection, and get warnings about changes and running "Check For Changes..." (which says there haven't been any when I run it).
Select to delete recordings. This time sides 1,2,3,4 are shown. I chose to delete 3&4 and have been left with 1 & 2 as I would like.
Switching to the track splitting screen shows tells me it's regenerating the waveform
Then everything appears to be in order.

This works for me except that when the two deleted sides are the first two, they aren't on the list to delete.

Hope this makes sense.

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

That's all more or less by design.  If you delete the recording for (say) side 1 then the remaining sides don't 'shuffle up'.  Perhaps they should.

Steve Crook

Thanks for the prompt response. Thought it might be the case.

It would certainly be helpful (for me) if deleting earlier recording moved the earlier ones up, but I can see that not being helpful for some people and why things as they are. Perhaps just an option on the Remove Recording dialog to move later recordings up when some are deleted???

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)