News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

quality of burned CD

Started by jan.e.stynen, November 26, 2010, 09:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jan.e.stynen

When I burn a CD from a recorded LP and play it in a CD player I hear a sound that seems to come out of a telephone, meaning, there is hardly no low frequencies in it.
When I play the recorded music on the VinylStudio it sounds perfect.
How can I adjust the quality of the sound that is burned on the CD?
Using the equaliser doesn't seem to impact the burned quality at all.
What am I doing wrong?

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Did you turn on the hiss filter?  Incorrect use of the hiss filter (i.e. failure to define the 'noise sample' properly) can cause effects like this, although I would expect you to hear the results of doing this in VinylStudio as well.

I took the liberty of editing your username - using your email address is a good way to attract spam.  You can still use your email address to log in.

jan.e.stynen

Quote from: Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft) on November 27, 2010, 10:59:11 AM
Did you turn on the hiss filter?  Incorrect use of the hiss filter (i.e. failure to define the 'noise sample' properly) can cause effects like this, although I would expect you to hear the results of doing this in VinylStudio as well.

I took the liberty of editing your username - using your email address is a good way to attract spam.  You can still use your email address to log in.

Hi Paul, thx for that.
In the mean time I figured out the CD's are perfect on my real CD players, but they loose all low frequencies when played on a Blue Ray player or on a DVD player. I thought it had something to do with sampling so I went to 48KHz but this did not solve the problem. It must be another setting probably.

That is very strange.  What models are these players?  I take it they play commercial CDs OK.

Question: are you burning audio CDs or MP3 CDs?

jan.e.stynen

SONY BDP S350 and SONY RDR GX350, and indeed they both play commercial CD's normally. Also iTunes CD's.
I also copied the WAV files from VinylStudio to iTunes and burned them via iTunes, same result. Very strange indeed.

Hmmm.  Try a different brand of media?

jan.e.stynen

Hi Paul, I did try another type of CD, but same result.
I noted that the two players where there is absolutely no Sub Woofer action for these CD's are connected via HDMI to the receiver. Is there maybe any LFE info needed or something? I am not at all aware of how these things really work, but I still have the impression that this type of WAV files that I am writing with VinylStudio  is missing something in order to activate the SubWoofer on my AV-System via HDMI whereas commercial CD's do have that (does that make überhaupt sense at all?)
Thanks for thinking with me ;-))
Regards,
Jan.

Hi,

No, the WAV files must be OK if the CDs play on a normal player.  WAV files are very simple in any case - they don't separate the low and high frequency components in any way.

I really can't think of an explanation.  Are you burning on a Mac or on Windows?  If it's on a Mac I can post a question on Apple's CD burning mailing list; maybe someone there will know something.

Could you possibly post me one of your strange CDs for me to take a look at?  You will find the address here:

http://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/contact_us.aspx

Thanks.

jan.e.stynen

Hi Paul, thanks, but before I send you a CD, I noticed something very strange that I can not explain: When I connect the DVD player (on which I play the CD) with my stereo amplifier (AV receiver Sony KS2300 5.1 system) via these separate jacks (red and white) instead of via a HDMI cable, and when I then only connect one single channel, red or white, the low frequencies are back! so they are on the CD, but when played in stereo, both channels connected, they seem to be in opposite phase so they compensate one another and they disappear. Does that make sense? Can that have something to do with writing the CD? 

"Don't ever give up" Jan. 

Bizarre.  I'm certainly not aware of any bugs in VinylStudio that could explain this.

I have had something like this myself with faulty cabling.  I would say to double-check the cables between your DVD player and your stereo but you said that you get the same effect with your HDMI connection.  What about the phase of the loudspeaker connections?  Could that explain it?  It must be something along those lines, seems to me.

Anyway, it you're still stuck, please do send me the CD.  I can 'rip' it and look at what's on it.  That might reveal something.

jan.e.stynen

:)
Hi Paul, problem fixed!
I did some micro surgery on the turntable and the problem is fixed now.
For those who are interested, here's how I did it and why:
Out of the turntable arm come 5 wires: one earth and two wires per channel Left and Right. These are then connected to two coax cables going towards the preamplifier.
The two wires coming out of the turntable arm for the left channel were connected wrongly to the coax leading to the preamplifier. (signal and mass switched)
In a normal stereo amplifier (table model, portable, Ipod, ...) these two channels, Left and Right, are amplified separately, and eventhough the phase in the two loudspeakers were in my case opposite, in fact theoretically cancelling each other, you hardly hear that, since the resulting sound waves never reach each other in the ideal way so they can compensate each other audibly. (sounds are reflected on everything in the room, different distance between you and speakers, ...)
BUT
in a 5.1 sound system, there is but 1 single Low frequency speaker, the woofer. The 5.1 system therefore adds the low frequencies of both Left and Right channel electronically before it sends them to the one single woofer. If then these signals are compensating one another because they are in opposite phase then they do compensate each other electronically and the result is that you don't hear any low frequencies anymore coming out of the woofer.

So thanks again Paul for not giving up too easily and thinking together with me. Excellent support!
Nothing wrong with VinylStudio or with my settings! (Don't mind if you remove this thread from the forum since it doesn't have anything to do with the Alpine software of course, but it was a nice learning experience.
Regards,
Jan.   

No, that's fine, it's all grist to the mill - someone else might encounter the same problem some day.

That's a manufacturing fault presumably.  Amazing what slips through.  I'm pleased it's resolved, and thanks for taking the time to post such a detailed update.